Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Fisk pleads guilty to drunken-driving charge
Hall of Fame catcher and New Hampshire native Carlton Fisk pleaded guilty Thursday to a drunken-driving charge.
Fisk, 64, received a sentence of one year of court supervision, must pay $1,250 in court costs and undergo a drug and alcohol evaluation and counseling. Police found him asleep in his pickup truck in a suburban Chicago cornfield on Oct. 22, with an open bottle of whiskey on the floor.
Fisk's lawyer, Stephen White, said in Will County court that Fisk wanted to accept responsibility for his actions.
"He stepped up to the plate," White said.
Fisk's signature moment came in Game 6 of the 1975 World Series, while playing for the Boston Red Sox, when he won the game with a 12th-inning home run.
Sox pursuing LaRoche
The Boston Red Sox are pursuing free-agent first baseman Adam LaRoche, according to a report from SB Nation Boston.
LaRoche is seeking a three-year deal, despite having multiple two-year offers on the table. One of those offers is from the Washington Nationals, the team for which LaRoche played the previous two seasons.
The 33-year-old batted .271 with 33 home runs and 100 RBIs in 2012, and earned a Gold Glove.
Boston could be exploring the possibility as a way of getting out of an agreement with free-agent Mike Napoli, whose three-deal appears to have hit a snag over concerns regarding his hip. That $39-million agreement hasn't been finalized.
READER COMMENTS: 12
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Turkeys make Valley Cemetery their 'resting' place - 1
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: A man of the streets helped set up a haven for those who need it most - 1
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Life isn't what it used to be for ER worker injured in attack involving mentally ill man - 1
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: A sewer for the century - 0
- Manchester aims to end junk king's reign - 11
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester slow to get the lead out - 5
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: These players got game – for foosball - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Reclaiming Manchester's parks - 3
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Doing the work, making a difference - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Jury deadlocked in Keene murder trial - 0
- Home Depot comes through in Derry with new decorations - 2
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Donald Trump to visit NH - 1
- Former Sen. Scott Brown confirms move from Mass to NH - 21
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 2
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child