Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Fisk pleads guilty to drunken-driving charge
Hall of Fame catcher and New Hampshire native Carlton Fisk pleaded guilty Thursday to a drunken-driving charge.
Fisk, 64, received a sentence of one year of court supervision, must pay $1,250 in court costs and undergo a drug and alcohol evaluation and counseling. Police found him asleep in his pickup truck in a suburban Chicago cornfield on Oct. 22, with an open bottle of whiskey on the floor.
Fisk's lawyer, Stephen White, said in Will County court that Fisk wanted to accept responsibility for his actions.
"He stepped up to the plate," White said.
Fisk's signature moment came in Game 6 of the 1975 World Series, while playing for the Boston Red Sox, when he won the game with a 12th-inning home run.
Sox pursuing LaRoche
The Boston Red Sox are pursuing free-agent first baseman Adam LaRoche, according to a report from SB Nation Boston.
LaRoche is seeking a three-year deal, despite having multiple two-year offers on the table. One of those offers is from the Washington Nationals, the team for which LaRoche played the previous two seasons.
The 33-year-old batted .271 with 33 home runs and 100 RBIs in 2012, and earned a Gold Glove.
Boston could be exploring the possibility as a way of getting out of an agreement with free-agent Mike Napoli, whose three-deal appears to have hit a snag over concerns regarding his hip. That $39-million agreement hasn't been finalized.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
- AL East looks loaded again in 2014 - 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Belichick’s magic act worthy of honor - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Dolphins seeking AFC wild card - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: The book on Bennett - 1
- NHIAA wrestling at Manchester - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Stretch of I-293 North and South closed after propane tank crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Goalies everywhere - 1
- Lebanon City Hall renovation could move forward at hearing - 0
- Belmont makes deal to sell Winnisquam fire station for $240,000 - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan