Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Fisk pleads guilty to drunken-driving charge
Hall of Fame catcher and New Hampshire native Carlton Fisk pleaded guilty Thursday to a drunken-driving charge.
Fisk, 64, received a sentence of one year of court supervision, must pay $1,250 in court costs and undergo a drug and alcohol evaluation and counseling. Police found him asleep in his pickup truck in a suburban Chicago cornfield on Oct. 22, with an open bottle of whiskey on the floor.
Fisk's lawyer, Stephen White, said in Will County court that Fisk wanted to accept responsibility for his actions.
"He stepped up to the plate," White said.
Fisk's signature moment came in Game 6 of the 1975 World Series, while playing for the Boston Red Sox, when he won the game with a 12th-inning home run.
Sox pursuing LaRoche
The Boston Red Sox are pursuing free-agent first baseman Adam LaRoche, according to a report from SB Nation Boston.
LaRoche is seeking a three-year deal, despite having multiple two-year offers on the table. One of those offers is from the Washington Nationals, the team for which LaRoche played the previous two seasons.
The 33-year-old batted .271 with 33 home runs and 100 RBIs in 2012, and earned a Gold Glove.
Boston could be exploring the possibility as a way of getting out of an agreement with free-agent Mike Napoli, whose three-deal appears to have hit a snag over concerns regarding his hip. That $39-million agreement hasn't been finalized.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NFL-sponsored health program honors Milford High School staff - 0
- Amendola getting up to speed with Patriots - 0
- UNH defensive tackle Jared Smith chosen by Seattle - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats piece puzzle together - 0
- Texans tap Londonderry's Griffin in NFL Draft - 1
- Patriots make LB, WR top draft picks - 0
- Vikings make NFL Draft splash with three first-round picks, huge trade with Pats - 0
- Top pick Fisher leads linemen's march at NFL Draft - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Patience a virtue for Pats - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Santos drives in three as Curve beat Fisher Cats in 10 - 0
- Large billboards grabbing attention on Route 101 in Epping - 2
- Pearl Street lot proposal involves student housing in Manchester - 0
- Manchester VFW posts fights to survive without poker cash - 0
- Surveillance led NSA to 50 terror 'events' - 0
- One arrested as Concord gun-control rally gets rowdy - 19
- Celtics, Clippers call off Doc deal - 0
- High school football is in the air as CHad practice opens - 0
- Agencies to offer summer food service to Derry children in need - 0
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time