Home » News » Public Safety
Firefighter injured in two-alarm fire that destroyed Dover home
DOVER – One firefighter sustained minor burns after a ceiling gave way during a second alarm fire which destroyed along Horne Street Thursday, according to Fire Captain Troy Brown.
Brown said the fire, which was burning above his head for some time, caused the ceiling to collapse as firefighters battled the blaze from both inside and outside a 2½-story New England Style home at 26 Horne St.
“An ember fell into the collar of his gear, burning his neck. He was treated and released that evening and continued to work,” Brown said, adding it was the only injury from the blaze.
Brown said the fire, which was reported at 1:46 p.m., was under control around 3:15 p.m. Aside from a local crew which watched the building overnight, firefighters cleared the scene around 6 p.m.
Local crews were assisted by firefighters from Durham, Portsmouth, Rochester, Rollinsford, and Somersworth. Firefighters from Durham, Newington and Berwick, Maine provided station coverage.
Brown said the fire caused about $300,000 in damage to the home, which was rendered unlivable. About six people lived at the home. They were assisted by members of the American Red Cross at the scene Thursday.
While the investigation began Thursday, no cause has been determined and firefighter have not said whether it was suspicious or not.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 2
- 2 motorcycle riders hurt in Laconia collision - 0
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 2
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
- Salem family ldisplaced by house fire - 0
- Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health - 17
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 0
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 0
- Motivation Matters: 'Giving 110 percent' says more than you think - 0
- Know the Law: Do I need a prenup? - 0
- Life's just a great big game for Dan Yarrington - 0
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH
Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee