Home » News » Public Safety
Firefighter injured in two-alarm fire that destroyed Dover home
DOVER – One firefighter sustained minor burns after a ceiling gave way during a second alarm fire which destroyed along Horne Street Thursday, according to Fire Captain Troy Brown.
Brown said the fire, which was burning above his head for some time, caused the ceiling to collapse as firefighters battled the blaze from both inside and outside a 2½-story New England Style home at 26 Horne St.
“An ember fell into the collar of his gear, burning his neck. He was treated and released that evening and continued to work,” Brown said, adding it was the only injury from the blaze.
Brown said the fire, which was reported at 1:46 p.m., was under control around 3:15 p.m. Aside from a local crew which watched the building overnight, firefighters cleared the scene around 6 p.m.
Local crews were assisted by firefighters from Durham, Portsmouth, Rochester, Rollinsford, and Somersworth. Firefighters from Durham, Newington and Berwick, Maine provided station coverage.
Brown said the fire caused about $300,000 in damage to the home, which was rendered unlivable. About six people lived at the home. They were assisted by members of the American Red Cross at the scene Thursday.
While the investigation began Thursday, no cause has been determined and firefighter have not said whether it was suspicious or not.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New to Nottingham, fire victims plan to stay - 0
- ‘Coffee with a Cop’ promotes police, community relations - 0
- Merrimack fire quickly doused - 0
- UPDATED: One seriously hurt, 12 homeless after early morning Manchester fire - 0
- Snowmobiler injured while riding on Thornton golf course - 1
- Dartmouth under fire for response to incidents of rape on campus - 1
- NH hospital personnel to train for disasters - 0
- Snowmobiler dies; 4th fatality of season - 0
- Driver seriously injured in Londonderry wreck - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Snowmobiler injured in Millsfield accident - 0
- Search under way for trio in Somersworth attempted armed robbery - 0
- Nashua teen charged with robbery - 0
- U.S. attorneys general urge Wal-Mart, other retailers to stop selling tobacco - 2
- Manchester police search for bank robber - 0
- Police investigating possible stabbing of man, 22, on Lake Avenue - 2
- As city health costs soar, ‘wellness’ post pushed in Manchester - 12
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Parents share what 'CJ' taught them - 0
- Gilford High junior surprised by Francis Wayland Parker honor - 0
License revocations for DWI announced
New to Nottingham, fire victims plan to stay
Litchfield man found stabbed
Scott Brown's latest step stirs the pot
Hooksett's choices: Leave them to parents