Storm came at an ideal time for school, highway officials
MANCHESTER - The snowstorm's timing was perfect for the city's school department. With students on Christmas vacation, there was no need for a delayed start, no cancellations, no bus problems. no snow day to potentially extend the school year.
The timing wasn't bad for the highway department, either. Deputy Public Works Director Tim Clougherty said the crews and snow equipment went out at midnight Wednesday and were able to take care of the priorities: main streets first, arterial roadways next and then the remaining streets.
"I anticipate sending them home at the end of the day (3:30 p.m.)," he said early Thursday afternoon.
Because a snow emergency was declared for Wednesday night, all vehicles had to be off the streets between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. to permit snowplowing.
Not everybody got the message, despite the flashing strobe lights on traffic lights that signal the snow emergency and the email and text messages motorists can sign up for on the city website.
Manchester police said 194 vehicles were towed to the impound lot at Derryfield Park, to be retrieved by their owners for $110.
The city provides two locations for residents to park their vehicles during snow emergencies: the Victory parking garage at Chestnut and Amherst streets and the Pearl Street parking lot.
Between the parking ban and the towed vehicles, the city streets were pretty clear and crews were able to make their first pass down the center of the street, so traffic could go through, and then work clearing to the sides.
Clougherty said some streets got more than one pass during the storm, but with the snow winding down Thursday afternoon, Clougherty was comfortable that street clearing was under control.
But while there was no snow emergency declared for Thursday night, Clougherty reminded drivers that the city's winter odd-even parking ordinance is in effect, with today, Friday, an even side of the street parking day.
McIntyre Ski area was happy to see the snowstorm. "Business is great," said general manager Ross Boisvert. He said the ski area cancelled Thursday morning's vacation ski classes, which start at 9 a.m., out of concern about travel conditions.
But the ski area opened as usual and ski conditions were ideal. "On a day like this, it gets busier in the afternoon," he said, adding that the ski area is open until 9:30 p.m.
Thanks to the snowstorm, Boisvert said the tubing hill may open today, but will be open for sure on Saturday.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- USGS reports minor earthquake just outside of Concord - 0
- Quake strikes northeast of Tokyo, no reports of serious damage - 0
- Hollis storm damage caused by microburst, not tornado - 0
- 6.0 earthquake strikes California wine country - 0
- Heavy rain saturates NH in a matter of two hours - 1
- Flash flood warning issued for Southern New Hampshire - 0
- Rare tornado touches down in Revere, Mass., no deaths reported - 0
- Severe weather strikes across Granite State - 0
- Restaurant foundation destabilized by high water raises Route 3 Bridge, downtown Colebrook flooding concerns - 0
- Nashua caretaker wants evidence suppressed in sexual assault case - 0
- Former coach from Nashua charged in sex assaults claims confession was involuntary - 0
- NH highways have potentialy deadly guardrail end pieces, transportation commissioner says - 0
- Neighbor won't be charged in shooting death of Rumney chiropractor - 9
- Staples says it is probing possible payment card data breach - 0
- Manchester police: Ga. man stole truck in Mass. to visit mom in NH - 0
- South African Olympian Pistorius sentenced to five years in girlfriend's murder - 0
- Expect the unexpected in NHIAA field hockey tourneys - 0
- Giants' blueprint? There is none - 0
GT Advanced Technology attorney hoping for Apple agreement today to allow more openness in bankruptcy courtREADER COMMENTS: 0
A series of sharp exchanges at 2nd CD debate
Murder-suicide ruled in Fremont deaths
Keene police working to identify rioters, notify other colleges of students' participation
Locked in a dead heat, Shaheen, Brown spar