Central hockey earns spot in Bauer Classic championship
MANCHESTER -- Tyler Stratton scored and Ian Beliveau made a save in the fourth round of a shootout to give the Manchester Central hockey team a 4-3 win over Spaulding of Rochester and a spot in the Bauer Christmas Hockey Classic championship at JFK Coliseum on Friday.
Who the Little Green will play in the title game Saturday at 7 p.m. is yet to be determined.
Central (2-0-1 in tournament) led 3-0 after one period of play. Then Spaulding (1-2) came roaring back with a goal in the second period and two more in the third to tie things up. Neither team scored in overtime, and it went to the shootout.
The first two shooters for each team failed to score. Brent Phillips scored in the third round for Spaulding before Austin Sprague netted one for Central to force the fourth round.
The Red Raiders went first, and Brendan Colson failed to convert on his bid. Stratton then won it for the Little Green with his shot.
Sprague, Trevor Malmgren and Will Lyons all scored in the first period for Central. Phillips scored for the Red Raiders in the second period, and Colson pulled them within one in the third. Brian Chick tied it up with 2:43 left in regulation.
Phillips finished with three points for Spaulding and Sprague and Cole Anderson had two apiece for the Little Green.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Celtics' objective against Knicks: Make it to Friday - 0
- Celtics beat Knicks in OT, force Game 5 - 0
- Knicks push Celtics to the brink - 0
- Another Celts meltdown as Knicks take command of series - 0
- Celts 'point' to Garnett for solutions - 0
- Too much Carmelo as Knicks top Celtics in Game 1 - 0
- C's end regular season on losing note - 0
- Celtics clinch No. 7 seed with easy win over Magic - 0
- Heat's stars get better of Celtics - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mass. man charged in Nashua hit-and-run - 0
- Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 20, 2013 - 0
- Police say man held girlfriend in car, arrest him - 0
- Overtime puts stress on Nashua police budget - 1
- Manchester, church group seek accord on breakfast for homeless - 7
- Ky. Sen. Rand Paul to NH GOP: Let's look like America - 12
- Man gunned down on Manchester street was talented graffiti artist - 26
- Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs - 7
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs
Texting + driving = deadly consequences
Derry marks a soldier's death
Memorial Day Observances 2013
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840