Central hockey earns spot in Bauer Classic championship
MANCHESTER -- Tyler Stratton scored and Ian Beliveau made a save in the fourth round of a shootout to give the Manchester Central hockey team a 4-3 win over Spaulding of Rochester and a spot in the Bauer Christmas Hockey Classic championship at JFK Coliseum on Friday.
Who the Little Green will play in the title game Saturday at 7 p.m. is yet to be determined.
Central (2-0-1 in tournament) led 3-0 after one period of play. Then Spaulding (1-2) came roaring back with a goal in the second period and two more in the third to tie things up. Neither team scored in overtime, and it went to the shootout.
The first two shooters for each team failed to score. Brent Phillips scored in the third round for Spaulding before Austin Sprague netted one for Central to force the fourth round.
The Red Raiders went first, and Brendan Colson failed to convert on his bid. Stratton then won it for the Little Green with his shot.
Sprague, Trevor Malmgren and Will Lyons all scored in the first period for Central. Phillips scored for the Red Raiders in the second period, and Colson pulled them within one in the third. Brian Chick tied it up with 2:43 left in regulation.
Phillips finished with three points for Spaulding and Sprague and Cole Anderson had two apiece for the Little Green.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- College Baseball: Mathieu, FPU cruise in NCAAs - 0
- College Roundup: SNHU rolls in NCAA opener - 0
- College Baseball: DWC stays alive in NCAAs - 0
- Penmen set sights on return to NCAA Div. II World Series - 0
- Daniel Webster nine loses NCAA test - 0
- NH College Roundup: DWC baseball team begins NCAAs today - 0
- Franklin Pierce University plays in regional opener; SNHU has night game - 0
- College Baseball: KSC nine ousted - 0
- NH College Roundup: KSC's Crisp is top Little East Conference softball honoree - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH College Notebook: Honors keep coming for several Granite State athletes - 0
- Another View -- Glenn Normandeau: Protecting endangered non-game species a NH success story - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: Inventors, beware of PGL -- Paranoia, greed and laziness - 0
- Marine think tank to move to former Great Bay campus - 0
- Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Vending machines go natural - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: Lots to love about NH road race/triathlon scene - 0
- Investigators seek cause of Conn. train crash - 0
- Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win - 0
- College Baseball: Ravens outlast Penmen in 13 to survive another day - 0
Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win
UNH Law School grads told to 'serve justice'
Lebanon College graduates 19
UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840