Central hockey earns spot in Bauer Classic championship
MANCHESTER -- Tyler Stratton scored and Ian Beliveau made a save in the fourth round of a shootout to give the Manchester Central hockey team a 4-3 win over Spaulding of Rochester and a spot in the Bauer Christmas Hockey Classic championship at JFK Coliseum on Friday.
Who the Little Green will play in the title game Saturday at 7 p.m. is yet to be determined.
Central (2-0-1 in tournament) led 3-0 after one period of play. Then Spaulding (1-2) came roaring back with a goal in the second period and two more in the third to tie things up. Neither team scored in overtime, and it went to the shootout.
The first two shooters for each team failed to score. Brent Phillips scored in the third round for Spaulding before Austin Sprague netted one for Central to force the fourth round.
The Red Raiders went first, and Brendan Colson failed to convert on his bid. Stratton then won it for the Little Green with his shot.
Sprague, Trevor Malmgren and Will Lyons all scored in the first period for Central. Phillips scored for the Red Raiders in the second period, and Colson pulled them within one in the third. Brian Chick tied it up with 2:43 left in regulation.
Phillips finished with three points for Spaulding and Sprague and Cole Anderson had two apiece for the Little Green.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- John Stossel: Sublet my people go - 0
- Another View: A voter ID compromise with which we all can live - 15
- George Will: The NLRB’s school-door stand - 1
- Pat Buchanan: Barack Obama is the spectator President - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama's 'idiot' defense - 1
- Another View: Amendments to the Senate casino bill make it worth passing - 4
- Charles Arlinghaus: On Medicaid expansion, the right answer is, 'not yet' - 2
- Deroy Murdock: A bloated state necessarily bullies, as the IRS did - 3
- Kathy Sullivan: The IRS scandal exposes flaw behind tax-exempt politicking - 24
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather may be more like Veterans Day than Memorial Day - 0
- Awards cap city's Small Business Week - 0
- Rock Cats-Fisher Cats suspended - 0
- Budget plan presses NH hospitals to join managed care networks - 0
- Students hold ceremony to honor flags - 0
- This week's Rare Bird Alert - 0
- McCafferty nominated for District Court judge position - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
State’s stand-your-ground law intact
Rock Cats-Fisher Cats suspended
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840