Central hockey earns spot in Bauer Classic championship
MANCHESTER -- Tyler Stratton scored and Ian Beliveau made a save in the fourth round of a shootout to give the Manchester Central hockey team a 4-3 win over Spaulding of Rochester and a spot in the Bauer Christmas Hockey Classic championship at JFK Coliseum on Friday.
Who the Little Green will play in the title game Saturday at 7 p.m. is yet to be determined.
Central (2-0-1 in tournament) led 3-0 after one period of play. Then Spaulding (1-2) came roaring back with a goal in the second period and two more in the third to tie things up. Neither team scored in overtime, and it went to the shootout.
The first two shooters for each team failed to score. Brent Phillips scored in the third round for Spaulding before Austin Sprague netted one for Central to force the fourth round.
The Red Raiders went first, and Brendan Colson failed to convert on his bid. Stratton then won it for the Little Green with his shot.
Sprague, Trevor Malmgren and Will Lyons all scored in the first period for Central. Phillips scored for the Red Raiders in the second period, and Colson pulled them within one in the third. Brian Chick tied it up with 2:43 left in regulation.
Phillips finished with three points for Spaulding and Sprague and Cole Anderson had two apiece for the Little Green.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Clippers, Celtics resume talks on Doc, Garnett deal - 0
- NBA Finals: Big Three power Heat to series-tying win over Spurs - 0
- Heat turn 33-5 run into Game 2 win - 0
- James' triple-double not enough as Spurs win Finals opener - 0
- Celtics' impobable rally falls short as Knicks take series - 0
- Celtics remain alive with win over Knicks - 0
- Celtics' objective against Knicks: Make it to Friday - 0
- Celtics beat Knicks in OT, force Game 5 - 0
- Knicks push Celtics to the brink - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Road to Recovery helps America's heroes - 0
- Valenti Modified Series back at it - 0
- Seabrook scores in OT to give Blackhawks win, series tie - 0
- Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally - 23
- Hellickson, Rays handcuff Red Sox - 0
- Celtics' Rivers, Ainge meet to clear air - 0
- Fisher Cats drop second straight - 0
- Troubles mount for Patriots' Hernandez - 0
- Central High student says he was knocked unconscious; police investigate racial motive - 0
Celtics' Rivers, Ainge meet to clear air
Tax credit math: Who owns your money?
Drones and privacy: Debate just taking off
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840