Home » News » Public Safety
Crashes prompt closure on I-93
Rescue crews work at the scene of a 17-car pileup south of Exit 23 on Interstate 93 Saturday afternoon. (Dan Seufert/Union Leader Correspondent)
NEW HAMPTON - A chain-reaction accident involving at least a dozen motor vehicles on Interstate 93 north closed a section of the highway near Exit 23 for about two hours Saturday afternoon as snow made the highway treacherous, according to authorities.
A separate six-car collision was reported just to the south, and another crash occurred just to the north of Exit 23, Fire Chief Mike Drake said.
One report said 17 vehicles were involved in the biggest crash, but state police reported the largest accident involved 12 vehicles on both sides of the highway just before 12:30 p.m., with additional accident scenes between Exits 22 and 23 in Sanbornton.
State police also reported other vehicles off the roadway, but didn't say how many total were involved.
No one was seriously hurt. Five people were taken by ambulance to local hospitals and later released, state police said.
"The conditions were treacherous, there was very low visibility," Drake said. "This storm seems worse than the (Thursday) storm that wasn't so bad."
For a period, traffic was rerouted via Route 132. I-93 was reopened about 2:20 p.m.
One driver involved in the biggest crash, who asked not to be identified, said his car was towed away. He stood outside a gas station near Exit 23, waiting for a ride.
"It all happened so fast, and then I got hit and all these cars were all over the road," he said.
He said he was on his way to his home in Madison.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 9
- Dozens of ill Keith Urban fans treated at concert near Boston - 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 5
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 3
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
When company comes, opt for variety
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride