Backman goals lead Sound Tigers past Monarchs
Bridgeport's Sean Backman scored more goals on Saturday (two) than he had all year (one) in leading the Sound Tigers to a 4-1 win over the visiting Manchester Monarchs.
Manchester fell to 14-14-4 and lost its second in a row after winning two straight. Goaltender Martin Jones had his franchise-record losing streak extended to nine games.
The Monarchs will be back to work Monday night when they host Atlantic Division rival Worcester at 7 p.m. at Verizon Wireless Arena.
It will be the third meeting between the teams in the past six days. Manchester won 2-1 at home and the Sharks claimed their own 2-1 win in their building.
Bridgeport scored an insurance goal at 9:42 of the third period to make it 4-1. Nino Neidereiter scored on a redirection from Ty Wishart.
The Sound Tigers (16-12-3) extended to a 3-1 lead with a pair of goals in the second period. Backman lit the lamp at 17:30 and then Casey Cizikas connected with a goal from the slot at 18:44.
Bridgeport struck first with a goal 1:39 into the game. Backman floated a backhand shot over the shoulder of Jones from the left circle to make it 1-0.
The Monarchs tied the game at 8:47 of the first when Linden Vey set up Tyler Toffoli for the score. It was Toffoli's team-best 14th goal of the season.
Former Monarchs assistant coach Scott Pellerin has owned his old team as head coach of Bridgeport. Manchester is now 0-3 against the Sound Tigers this season.
The Monarchs are 9-2 on Saturday this season, with both losses coming at the hands of Bridgeport.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Weal powers Monarchs past Phantoms - 0
- Gale lifts Monarchs to 3-1 win - 0
- Another weekend, another three games for Monarchs - 0
- Weary Monarchs lose in shootout - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Monarchs yet to flip switch on power play - 0
- Monarchs fall, settle for two-win weekend - 0
- Ian Clark's Monarchs Notebook: Berube makes most of his shot - 0
- Red-hot Monarchs top Wolf Pack on the road - 0
- Deslauriers comes through in the Nick of time for Monarchs - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl