Backman goals lead Sound Tigers past Monarchs
Bridgeport's Sean Backman scored more goals on Saturday (two) than he had all year (one) in leading the Sound Tigers to a 4-1 win over the visiting Manchester Monarchs.
Manchester fell to 14-14-4 and lost its second in a row after winning two straight. Goaltender Martin Jones had his franchise-record losing streak extended to nine games.
The Monarchs will be back to work Monday night when they host Atlantic Division rival Worcester at 7 p.m. at Verizon Wireless Arena.
It will be the third meeting between the teams in the past six days. Manchester won 2-1 at home and the Sharks claimed their own 2-1 win in their building.
Bridgeport scored an insurance goal at 9:42 of the third period to make it 4-1. Nino Neidereiter scored on a redirection from Ty Wishart.
The Sound Tigers (16-12-3) extended to a 3-1 lead with a pair of goals in the second period. Backman lit the lamp at 17:30 and then Casey Cizikas connected with a goal from the slot at 18:44.
Bridgeport struck first with a goal 1:39 into the game. Backman floated a backhand shot over the shoulder of Jones from the left circle to make it 1-0.
The Monarchs tied the game at 8:47 of the first when Linden Vey set up Tyler Toffoli for the score. It was Toffoli's team-best 14th goal of the season.
Former Monarchs assistant coach Scott Pellerin has owned his old team as head coach of Bridgeport. Manchester is now 0-3 against the Sound Tigers this season.
The Monarchs are 9-2 on Saturday this season, with both losses coming at the hands of Bridgeport.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Iginla strikes twice as red-hot Bruins top Oilers - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bow's balance too much for Kearsarge - 0
- Dartmouth skaters dealt another close loss - 0
- Gaming authority offers regulatory structure - 0
- Portsmouth man gets prison for sex assault of disabled woman - 0
- Wolfeboro nursing home evacuated after minor chemical spill - 0
- Dover woman admits to bank robberies in two states - 0
- Motorists injured in two car collision on Route 9, Spofford - 0
- Arrest made in attempted robbery of Littleton gas station - 0
Symphony NH plans pair of holiday events
Hooksett man arrested on assault charges
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained
Big tipper stops for lunch
Keene to appeal Robin Hood rulings