Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Sep 18, 2014
Sep 4, 2014
Newtown gunman buried in private funeral, father's family says
The gunman who killed 27 people and himself in Newtown, Conn., this month in the second-deadliest school shooting in U.S. history was buried at a private service over the weekend, a spokesman for his father's family said Monday.
The location of Adam Lanza's burial was not disclosed. His father, Peter Lanza of Stamford, Conn., claimed the body, said the spokesman, who spoke on condition of anonymity.
Connecticut's chief medical examiner released Lanza's body on Dec. 27, a spokesman for the office said.
Police say Lanza, 20, shot and killed his mother, Nancy Lanza, in her home on Dec. 14 before forcing his way into Sandy Hook Elementary School and killing 20 first-grade students, six faculty members and himself.
"Like so many of you, we are saddened, but struggling to make sense of what has transpired," Peter Lanza said in a statement the day after the shooting.
Peter Lanza and Nancy Lanza divorced in 2009, and Adam Lanza continued to live with his mother in Newtown about 5 miles from the Sandy Hook school.
Police have so far offered no motive behind the attack. Connecticut State Police spokesman Lt. Paul Vance has said it will likely be months before a final report on the incident is released.
The shooting ranks as the second-deadliest at a U.S. school or college, exceeded only by the 2007 massacre at Virginia Tech University in Blacksburg, Virginia, which left 32 people dead.
The incident has renewed the debate about gun control in the United States. President Barack Obama on Sunday called the day of the Newtown shooting the worst day of his presidency and has pledged to bring the full weight of his office behind efforts to pass new gun control measures.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Information sought in Keene hair salon burglary attempt - 0
- Two men arrested in Nashua armed robbery - 0
- Elderly Dover woman victim of paving scam, police say - 1
- Man charged with sex assault, sticking woman with hypodermic needle - 0
- KSC student facing charges related to riot - 13
- Police say man kept grabbing woman by throat - 0
- Cornish truck driver indicted on manslaughter charge for Merrimack crash - 0
- Lyndeborough's new Christmas tree destroyed - 3
- Man who escaped Kingston police station captured in Mass. - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Guard members buoyed by deployment ceremony - 0
- Missing Mason man found dead - 0
- Rondo paces balanced Celtics attack in season-opening win - 0
- Two Keene State students among three newest riot arrests - 0
- Nashua police chief to retire - 0
- Officials debate use of force in Manchester schools - 0
- Manchester middle school principal accused of chokehold cleared, back to work - 0
- Wind farm opposition does not deter Executive Council OK of Berlin project - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Field Hockey: Winnacunnet, Pinkerton march to final - 0
Nashua police chief to retire
The Obamaconomy: Shea-Porter shows its flaw
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483