Memorial hangs on for tourney title, 46-43
Danielle Fletcher tallied 14 points and McKenah Grisson netted 13 as Manchester Memorial defeated Manchester Central 46-43 in the championship game of the Manchester Central Girls' Basketball Tournament Sunday.
The game came down to the final possession where a potential game-tying three-point shot from Caitlyn Vincent was blocked in the final second.
Vincent led Central with 14 points and teammate Megan Clearly added 10.
Memorial led 36-30 midway through the third period when Grisson converted a lay-up, but Central rallied to tie the game on a bucket from Vincent, a jumper from Mary Soares and two free throws from Vincent.
Fletcher converted a conventional three-point play in the final minute of the third period to give Memorial a 39-36 lead. The Crusaders would not trail the rest of the way, but Central battled to the end.
Vincent sank a three-point shot to pull Central within three points of the lead. After a basket from Grisson, Central closed the gap to 44-43 with 1:31 left. Amanda Gaudreault converted on an offensive rebound and Vincent hit a baseline shot.
Down a point, Central got a steal but turned the ball back on a double dribble violation.
Fletcher was fouled and swished two clutch free throws with 21.5 left to give Memorial its three-point cushion. Before the last Central shot was taken, the Little Green also missed three shots in the paint.
Lebanon 63, Trinity 45: In the consolation game, Lebanon out-scored Trinity by a dozen in the second quarter for a 37-18 lead at halftime. Mariah Mouton led the way for the winners with 20 points while Emily Kehoe chipped in 18 points. Heather King finished with 11 for Lebanon.
Jillian Gilman led all scorers with 21 points for Trinity.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- No. 1 UConn women rout No. 2 Duke - 0
- Patriots’ Wilfork maintains he’ll be back - 0
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 1
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Donald Trump to visit NH - 1
- Former Sen. Scott Brown confirms move from Mass to NH - 5
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 2
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840