Home » News » Public Safety
Man, 87, hospitalized after getting pinned by vehicle
SOMERSWORTH - An 87-year-old man became stuck under a car along Central Street before a neighbor noticed him and called for help Wednesday afternoon.
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded at 12:59 p.m. after receiving the call from 13 Central St.
"We don't really know how he got there," fire Capt. Marc Vaillancourt said, adding the man was trapped under a mid-size Dodge.
"It appears he may have been trapped under it for about 45 minutes," Vaillancourt said, adding firefighters from Somersworth and Dover used "medium-sized" airbags to slowly lift the car to free the man.
Vaillancourt said they used airbags because they could monitor the status of the patient while firefighters used blocks to support the vehicle and keep it in place as a precaution in case the system failed.
"It's the easiest way to lift a car," Vaillancourt said, adding it took about 30 minutes to free the man.
Vaillancourt said ambulance crews from American Medical Response transported the man to Wentworth-Douglass Hospital in Dover. He added that firefighters had not heard an update on the man's status as he was still being evaluated.
Vaillancourt said firefighters cleared the scene at 1:36 p.m.
- - - - - - - -
John Quinn may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry police add a new officer to the department - 0
- 1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford - 0
- 'Good Morning America' viewers see how much people care about missing Abigail Hernandez - 0
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- Claremont homeless man found dead - 0
- Woodshed restaurant fire investigation continues - 0
- Lincoln officer, Woodstock firefighters credited with saving homeowner's life - 0
- Rollover backs up traffic on Everett Turnpike - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072