Home » News » Public Safety
Man, 87, hospitalized after getting pinned by vehicle
SOMERSWORTH - An 87-year-old man became stuck under a car along Central Street before a neighbor noticed him and called for help Wednesday afternoon.
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded at 12:59 p.m. after receiving the call from 13 Central St.
"We don't really know how he got there," fire Capt. Marc Vaillancourt said, adding the man was trapped under a mid-size Dodge.
"It appears he may have been trapped under it for about 45 minutes," Vaillancourt said, adding firefighters from Somersworth and Dover used "medium-sized" airbags to slowly lift the car to free the man.
Vaillancourt said they used airbags because they could monitor the status of the patient while firefighters used blocks to support the vehicle and keep it in place as a precaution in case the system failed.
"It's the easiest way to lift a car," Vaillancourt said, adding it took about 30 minutes to free the man.
Vaillancourt said ambulance crews from American Medical Response transported the man to Wentworth-Douglass Hospital in Dover. He added that firefighters had not heard an update on the man's status as he was still being evaluated.
Vaillancourt said firefighters cleared the scene at 1:36 p.m.
- - - - - - - -
John Quinn may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Officials say Goffstown High ‘safe’ after threat of violence - 1
- Plaistow fire victim remains critical - 0
- Updated: Car may have started itself, crashes, burns at Manchester Home Depot - 6
- Lightning strikes home in Exeter - 0
- Answers sought after bomb squad leaves Fitzwilliam - 0
- Nottingham man injured in wagon accident suing Hampton Falls orchard - 2
- Lightning strikes Manchester home, sparks fire - 0
- Asphalt truck overturns in Jaffrey - 0
- Police to educate Manchester motorists on distracted driving - 7
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Officials disallow Woodmont slide show - 0
- Officials question Nashua parking proposal - 0
- House bill lowers emissions cap to meet RGGI standards - 0
- Trial delayed for Epping man charged with shooting romantic rival - 0
- Nashua aviation company looks for danger on ground - 0
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial replica wall on display - 0
- NFL-sponsored health program honors Milford High School staff - 0
- John Stossel: Sublet my people go - 0
- Search continues for gadabout steer in Epping - 0
License revocations for DWI announced