Home » News » Public Safety
Pajama-wearing child disappears after asking woman for help in Manchester
MANCHESTER - Police are trying to find a pajama-clad girl who, at the corner of Salmon and Elm Street early Wednesday morning, asked a woman for help, saying her family had been the victim of a crime.
The incident unfolded about 7 a.m. when a woman driving on Elm Street saw a young girl riding a bicycle north on Elm Street, near Sagamore Street. The girl, who was about 10 years old, was wearing purple pajamas under a pink winter coat and a backpack.
The woman, who was not identified in a police news release of the incident, pulled over at Salmon Street, concerned for the child's well-being. The child asked the woman for help, said her family had been the victim of a crime and she was trying to find her aunt.
The woman called 911 on her cellphone, but the child, learning police were being called, fled up Salmon Street to Bay Street, leaving her pink "Next" girl, "buttercup" model bicycle behind.
Police brought in a police dog to try and track the child but could not find her.
Juvenile Division officers are conducting a follow-up investigation at area schools in an effort to identify the child.
Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call police at 668-8711. Anonymous tips for cash rewards may be made to Manchester Crimeline at 624-4040 or online at manchestercrimeline.org .
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 2
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 2
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
- Salem family ldisplaced by house fire - 0
- Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health - 17
- Investigators release sketch of man who may have driven Abigail away - 15
READER COMMENTS: 0
- E-cigarettes find a market in NH - 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 2
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 1
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 2
- Motivation Matters: 'Giving 110 percent' says more than you think - 0
- Know the Law: Do I need a prenup? - 0
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH