Home » News » Public Safety
Pajama-wearing child disappears after asking woman for help in Manchester
MANCHESTER - Police are trying to find a pajama-clad girl who, at the corner of Salmon and Elm Street early Wednesday morning, asked a woman for help, saying her family had been the victim of a crime.
The incident unfolded about 7 a.m. when a woman driving on Elm Street saw a young girl riding a bicycle north on Elm Street, near Sagamore Street. The girl, who was about 10 years old, was wearing purple pajamas under a pink winter coat and a backpack.
The woman, who was not identified in a police news release of the incident, pulled over at Salmon Street, concerned for the child's well-being. The child asked the woman for help, said her family had been the victim of a crime and she was trying to find her aunt.
The woman called 911 on her cellphone, but the child, learning police were being called, fled up Salmon Street to Bay Street, leaving her pink "Next" girl, "buttercup" model bicycle behind.
Police brought in a police dog to try and track the child but could not find her.
Juvenile Division officers are conducting a follow-up investigation at area schools in an effort to identify the child.
Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call police at 668-8711. Anonymous tips for cash rewards may be made to Manchester Crimeline at 624-4040 or online at manchestercrimeline.org .
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fish and Game says Gilford bear shooting was proper - 2
- White powder in Salem shipping container posed no serious risks - 0
- Officials say Goffstown High ‘safe’ after threat of violence - 1
- Plaistow fire victim remains critical - 0
- Updated: Car may have started itself, crashes, burns at Manchester Home Depot - 7
- Lightning strikes home in Exeter - 0
- Answers sought after bomb squad leaves Fitzwilliam - 0
- Nottingham man injured in wagon accident suing Hampton Falls orchard - 2
- Lightning strikes Manchester home, sparks fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Gosselin stepping down as city AD - 0
- Lackey sharp as Red Sox pound Cleveland, Masterson - 0
- Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather this weekend may be more like Veterans Day - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place'
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty