Home » News » Public Safety
Pajama-wearing child disappears after asking woman for help in Manchester
MANCHESTER - Police are trying to find a pajama-clad girl who, at the corner of Salmon and Elm Street early Wednesday morning, asked a woman for help, saying her family had been the victim of a crime.
The incident unfolded about 7 a.m. when a woman driving on Elm Street saw a young girl riding a bicycle north on Elm Street, near Sagamore Street. The girl, who was about 10 years old, was wearing purple pajamas under a pink winter coat and a backpack.
The woman, who was not identified in a police news release of the incident, pulled over at Salmon Street, concerned for the child's well-being. The child asked the woman for help, said her family had been the victim of a crime and she was trying to find her aunt.
The woman called 911 on her cellphone, but the child, learning police were being called, fled up Salmon Street to Bay Street, leaving her pink "Next" girl, "buttercup" model bicycle behind.
Police brought in a police dog to try and track the child but could not find her.
Juvenile Division officers are conducting a follow-up investigation at area schools in an effort to identify the child.
Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call police at 668-8711. Anonymous tips for cash rewards may be made to Manchester Crimeline at 624-4040 or online at manchestercrimeline.org .
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATE: Elderly man burned in North Hampton camper fire has died - 3
- UPDATE: Windham's Common Man to open for dinner rush despite fire - 1
- Death investigation under way in Manchester, no foul play suspected - 3
- Enfield fire leaves one burned - 0
- Driver rescued after Franklin crash, 50-foot plunge - 0
- Children hurt when tire swings falls in Manchester playground - 1
- Camper fire leaves Bridgewater man severely burned - 1
- N.J. woman injured in Moultonborough motorcycle crash - 1
- Danville police chief pleads not guilty in firearms case - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Santos drives in three as Curve beat Fisher Cats in 10 - 0
- Large billboards grabbing attention on Route 101 in Epping - 1
- Pearl Street lot proposal involves student housing in Manchester - 0
- Manchester VFW posts fights to survive without poker cash - 0
- Surveillance led NSA to 50 terror 'events' - 0
- One arrested as Concord gun-control rally gets rowdy - 13
- Celtics, Clippers call off Doc deal - 0
- High school football is in the air as CHad practice opens - 0
- Agencies to offer summer food service to Derry children in need - 0
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time
Tax credit math: Who owns your money?