Home » News » Public Safety
Pajama-wearing child disappears after asking woman for help in Manchester
MANCHESTER - Police are trying to find a pajama-clad girl who, at the corner of Salmon and Elm Street early Wednesday morning, asked a woman for help, saying her family had been the victim of a crime.
The incident unfolded about 7 a.m. when a woman driving on Elm Street saw a young girl riding a bicycle north on Elm Street, near Sagamore Street. The girl, who was about 10 years old, was wearing purple pajamas under a pink winter coat and a backpack.
The woman, who was not identified in a police news release of the incident, pulled over at Salmon Street, concerned for the child's well-being. The child asked the woman for help, said her family had been the victim of a crime and she was trying to find her aunt.
The woman called 911 on her cellphone, but the child, learning police were being called, fled up Salmon Street to Bay Street, leaving her pink "Next" girl, "buttercup" model bicycle behind.
Police brought in a police dog to try and track the child but could not find her.
Juvenile Division officers are conducting a follow-up investigation at area schools in an effort to identify the child.
Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call police at 668-8711. Anonymous tips for cash rewards may be made to Manchester Crimeline at 624-4040 or online at manchestercrimeline.org .
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Canaan man killed when car falls on him - 0
- Canaan man dies after vehicle falls on him - 0
- Police say party near Keene State got out of control, became 'mass casualty incident' - 19
- KSC president 'saddened and disheartened' at Pumpkin Festival mayhem - 2
- More violence at Keene - 3
- Londonderry man killed in Massachusetts motorcycle crash - 0
- Fire at Swanzey dog kennels destroys barn - 0
- No arrests in incident that brought out Manchester SWAT, locked down Central High School - 0
- Weare chief resigns following AG's report that recommends putting him on list of ethically compromised officers - 6
READER COMMENTS: 0
- KSC graduate in town says he aided a wounded party-goer - 0
- Report: Sox may trade Cespedes - 0
- Political correctness could wind up killing a lot of Americans - 0
- Fight leads to stabbing in Plymouth - 0
- College president, Gov. Hassan promise to punish those involved in Keene riots - 5
- Somersworth plaza evacuated after phoned threat to blow up NH State Liquor Store - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Crunch time and the dollars are flying in NH races - 0
- Vickers earns first pole in five years - 0
- James Pindell's The Back Story: Does the grassroots approach still work? - 4
Monitoring social media
More violence at Keene
Boz Scaggs explores a bit of 'Memphis'
Shaheen, in Hooksett, rallies with union
After riots, soul-searching begins
On Obamacare: Shaheen doesn't get it
What rising tide? Kuster vs. Kennedy