Home » News » Public Safety
Pajama-wearing child disappears after asking woman for help in Manchester
MANCHESTER - Police are trying to find a pajama-clad girl who, at the corner of Salmon and Elm Street early Wednesday morning, asked a woman for help, saying her family had been the victim of a crime.
The incident unfolded about 7 a.m. when a woman driving on Elm Street saw a young girl riding a bicycle north on Elm Street, near Sagamore Street. The girl, who was about 10 years old, was wearing purple pajamas under a pink winter coat and a backpack.
The woman, who was not identified in a police news release of the incident, pulled over at Salmon Street, concerned for the child's well-being. The child asked the woman for help, said her family had been the victim of a crime and she was trying to find her aunt.
The woman called 911 on her cellphone, but the child, learning police were being called, fled up Salmon Street to Bay Street, leaving her pink "Next" girl, "buttercup" model bicycle behind.
Police brought in a police dog to try and track the child but could not find her.
Juvenile Division officers are conducting a follow-up investigation at area schools in an effort to identify the child.
Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call police at 668-8711. Anonymous tips for cash rewards may be made to Manchester Crimeline at 624-4040 or online at manchestercrimeline.org .
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Free gun lock giveway begins Sept. 1 in Conway - 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Owner sought after fatal pitbull attack near Tuckerman Ravine - 0
- Big smiles as Market Basket customers and workers return - 1
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Patnode poised to win NH Weekly Series crown - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 1
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 11
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate