Mar 5, 2014
Feb 26, 2014
Feb 19, 2014
Feb 6, 2014
Man charged after East Hampstead woman dies in New Year's Eve crash
HAMPSTEAD - A Massachusetts man was arraigned from his hospital bed Wednesday on vehicular homicide and drunken-driving charges after a New Year's Eve crash that killed a woman from East Hampstead.
Mikhael Sarkis, 50, of Lawrence, is being held on $100,000 bail after Salisbury, Mass., police charged him with vehicular homicide, two counts of driving under the influence of alcohol causing serious bodily injury, having an open container of alcohol in a motor vehicle, and failure to wear a seat belt.
His front-seat passenger, Donna Bergeron, 41, died in the crash.
"Alcohol was found in the vehicle, but we still don't know exactly what it was yet. Obviously this is a tragic case where alcohol and driving are involved. There really needs to be zero tolerance," Salisbury Police Chief Tom Fowler said.
The accident happened around 11:30 p.m. on Dec. 31 when a Lincoln Town Car driven by Sarkis struck a Mercury Grand Marquis head-on. He said Sarkis was driving north on the southbound side of the Route 1 Gillis Bridge in Salisbury at the time of the accident.
Bergeron, who worked at the Atkinson Country Club, was extricated from the vehicle but later died from her injuries. Sarkis suffered serious injuries and remains hospitalized at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston.
Another passenger was also hospitalized with less serious injuries.
The driver of the Mercury Marquis, Corey Burgess, 20, of Salisbury, Mass., was sent to the hospital as well, but Fowler said his injuries were not life-threatening.
Sarkis is due in court on Jan. 30 at Newburyport District Court.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATE: Hudson police standoff ends; person in custody - 0
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: Graffiti charge keeps teen’s bail from changing - 0
- Manchester-based scam roofer going to prison for making promises, taking money - 0
- UPDATED: Manchester police recover $11,000 in drugs while investigating domestic assault - 1
- Somersworth mother charged over statements in abuse case against Rochester boyfriend - 1
- UPDATE: Rochester man says he held girl, 3, in headlock for wetting the bed - 1
- Nine arrested in Ossipee drug sweep - 0
- Litchfield woman charged in theft at local grocery store - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Poll activity slow but steady in Londonderry - 0
- Manchester police recover $2,000 worth of painkillers in drug arrest - 0
- 600 votes cast in Hudson by midday - 0
- Londonderry polls average 100 voters per hour - 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Nashua school members' letter prompts an apology - 0
- UNH Law named a top 100 law school in magazine’s rankings - 0
- Musher Seavey wins Alaska's Iditarod dogsled race; woman with NH ties finishes second - 0
- Revised lice policy gets cool reception from some at Manchester school meeting - 1
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'
Manchester schools project budget surplus