Home » News » Public Safety
Candia family displaced by smoke damage from fire
CANDIA - A fire New Year's Day left a Candia family of four displaced, including two children, 14 and 16 years old.
James and Laura Vancour and their children, Serina Jean, 16, and a 14-year-old who has not been named, and their three dogs were displaced by smoke damage from a partition fire on Critchett Road. The Vancours called 911 around 11:30 p.m. after seeing smoke coming from their living room wall, which was adjacent to the fireplace. Materials inside the partition had been ignited by the chimney.
Candia police officer Kevin Mahoney, the first officer to respond, was able to make some holes in the wall and extinguish some of the flames. The fire department arrived soon afterward and took control, fully extinguishing the flames. They closed the scene just before 1 a.m., and no one was injured.
While the fire produced limited structural damage to the home, there was significant smoke damage. The toxicity produced from the residual soot made the home uninhabitable. The family is currently staying in a hotel.
The American Red Cross was called Jan. 2 to provide assistance to the family. Volunteers from the American Red Cross Disaster Action Team met with the Vancours later that evening, providing financial assistance for food and clothing. According to the Red Cross, the family requested no assistance for shelter.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Child Advocacy Centers offer safe place for abused to begin healing - 0
- Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire - 0
- 2 officers, Weare face civil suit over 2012 burglary arrest - 25
- Extreme skier's handgun found, returned to him - 8
- Antrim fire damages cape - 0
- Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving - 0
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Salem man faces DWI charge after Manchester crash - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: It's time to make legislative sausage - 0
- Memory of bombings remains vivid for those who were there - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: No power play in aldermanic chambers, mayor in good spirits - 1
- On Baseball: Locke pitches game in minor league rehab - 0
- NH's top prospects happy to be part of Boston - 0
- Relative newcomers vie for Boston title - 0
- NH College Notebook: Franklin Pierce's King named to 18U coaching staff - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: New Hampshire makes a big deal about Boston Marathon - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire
A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data
Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Restaurant owner faces up to challenge of Obamacare
'He is risen': 'As he said'