Home » News » Public Safety
Nearby house burglary sends Merrimack school into lockdown
MERRIMACK - Reeds Ferry Elementary School went into lockdown Thursday while police searched nearby for a person wanted in a robbery.
According to a school administrator, a home on Bedford Road was reportedly found burglarized Thursday morning, prompting heavy police presence in the area of the school on Lyons Road.
"Everything was locked down at the school and the shades were drawn as a precaution. We followed standard procedures," Matt Shevenell, business administrator, said Thursday afternoon.
Police were inside the school as well, trying to make the students and staff as secure as possible, he explained.
"There was never any threat to the school at any time," stressed Shevenell. "The lockdown was fairly seamless as far as the students were concerned."
A canine unit was dispatched to the area to assist in searching for any possible burglary suspects. According to Shevenell, the dog tracked a scent to a nearby church before the scent was lost. He said the track did not lead to the school property.
"Everyone followed procedures and everyone was calm," he said, adding parents will be notified via a telephone message Thursday afternoon about the incident. He thanked Merrimack police for providing a visible presence at the school during the burglary investigation.
Police did not return an immediate phone call seeking additional information on the residential burglary.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua police chief to retire - 0
- Pinkerton student taken to hospital after being hit by car - 0
- Heroin overdoses claim two in Laconia - 0
- Concrete chunk falls onto sidewalk from Elm Street building in Manchester - 0
- Traffic, parking complaints related to Hollis farm stand - 0
- Crews still working on replacing poles after accident - 0
- Woman, 56, struck by car in Laconia accident - 0
- Manchester police investigate two crashes involving two cruisers - 3
- Boy on scooter hits moving vehicle, taken to hospital - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Two more Keene State College students charged in riots - 0
- 2-alarm Manchester fire displaces 10 - 0
- Commodore Nutt takes D.C. by storm - 1
- School's out for voters - 2
- Kuster's abortion lies: Claims against Garcia are untrue - 16
- Senate battle attracts 17,000 TV ads in NH - 2
- Jonathan E. Benedict - 1
- Drew Cline: GOP missed opportunities could mean trouble on Tuesday - 4
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Demaryius Thomas is x-factor for Broncos' offense - 1
Trump fired up over NH mailer