Home » News » Public Safety
Nearby house burglary sends Merrimack school into lockdown
MERRIMACK - Reeds Ferry Elementary School went into lockdown Thursday while police searched nearby for a person wanted in a robbery.
According to a school administrator, a home on Bedford Road was reportedly found burglarized Thursday morning, prompting heavy police presence in the area of the school on Lyons Road.
"Everything was locked down at the school and the shades were drawn as a precaution. We followed standard procedures," Matt Shevenell, business administrator, said Thursday afternoon.
Police were inside the school as well, trying to make the students and staff as secure as possible, he explained.
"There was never any threat to the school at any time," stressed Shevenell. "The lockdown was fairly seamless as far as the students were concerned."
A canine unit was dispatched to the area to assist in searching for any possible burglary suspects. According to Shevenell, the dog tracked a scent to a nearby church before the scent was lost. He said the track did not lead to the school property.
"Everyone followed procedures and everyone was calm," he said, adding parents will be notified via a telephone message Thursday afternoon about the incident. He thanked Merrimack police for providing a visible presence at the school during the burglary investigation.
Police did not return an immediate phone call seeking additional information on the residential burglary.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester man injured in Ohio helicopter crash - 0
- BAE worker suffers electrical shock, injuries not life-threatening - 1
- Tubers lose contact with group, spend night in wooded area - 1
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 9
- Dozens of ill Keith Urban fans treated at concert near Boston - 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 5
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Patriots Notebook: Physical Browner brings it - 0
- Heroes all? A word cheapened by overuse - 4
- City Matters: Market Basket workers' outlook challenges the skeptics among us - 1
- Punch line: The NFL blows it - 1
- George Will: A conservative internationalism - 0
- Sox Beat: Red Sox haven't made a deal for Lester — yet - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: The Democrats' cynical impeachment play - 0
- Drew Cline: Home is where the really competent governing is done - 1
- Two GOP heavyweights try to get NH fired up about 2014 elections - 0
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Heroes all? A word cheapened by overuse
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Market Basket workers' outlook challenges the skeptics among us
Punch line: The NFL blows it
Havenstein says he has always opposed Obamacare, though company he led was paid to implement parts of it
George Will: A conservative internationalism