Home » News » Public Safety
Nearby house burglary sends Merrimack school into lockdown
MERRIMACK - Reeds Ferry Elementary School went into lockdown Thursday while police searched nearby for a person wanted in a robbery.
According to a school administrator, a home on Bedford Road was reportedly found burglarized Thursday morning, prompting heavy police presence in the area of the school on Lyons Road.
"Everything was locked down at the school and the shades were drawn as a precaution. We followed standard procedures," Matt Shevenell, business administrator, said Thursday afternoon.
Police were inside the school as well, trying to make the students and staff as secure as possible, he explained.
"There was never any threat to the school at any time," stressed Shevenell. "The lockdown was fairly seamless as far as the students were concerned."
A canine unit was dispatched to the area to assist in searching for any possible burglary suspects. According to Shevenell, the dog tracked a scent to a nearby church before the scent was lost. He said the track did not lead to the school property.
"Everyone followed procedures and everyone was calm," he said, adding parents will be notified via a telephone message Thursday afternoon about the incident. He thanked Merrimack police for providing a visible presence at the school during the burglary investigation.
Police did not return an immediate phone call seeking additional information on the residential burglary.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Search for missing swimmer halted in Bristol, to continue Tuesday - 0
- UPDATED: State Police bomb squad called to Manchester West High for plastic bottles of solvent - 0
- Swanzey man pulled from fire in serious condition - 0
- Man dies in Northumberland crash - 0
- Power restored to Hooksett and Candia - 0
- Fire destroys Hanover home - 0
- Chester teen suffers serious injuries in dirt bike accident - 0
- AG continues investigation in search for missing Abby Hernandez - 0
- Pair sent to Massachusetts hospital for serious burns following grease fire in Milton home - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Boston marks anniversary of bombing with somber ceremonies - 0
- Warning issued to teens taking the ‘Polar Plunge’ challenge - 0
- Rochester man arrested after crash in Somersworth - 0
- Dover man accused of trying to sexually assault a girl - 0
- Top Manchester school officials no longer must live in city - 7
- Vote: ‘No nit’ policy relaxed for Manchester schools - 3
- License revocations for DWI announced - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat Hopefully, this too shall pass - 0
- Poll: More than 25% haven't heard of Northern Pass; mixed attitudes for others - 8
License revocations for DWI announced
Berlin BioPower plant coming up to speed
Rep. Shea-Porter honored for efforts to aid in health care by National Association of Community Health Centers