Home » News » Public Safety
Nearby house burglary sends Merrimack school into lockdown
MERRIMACK - Reeds Ferry Elementary School went into lockdown Thursday while police searched nearby for a person wanted in a robbery.
According to a school administrator, a home on Bedford Road was reportedly found burglarized Thursday morning, prompting heavy police presence in the area of the school on Lyons Road.
"Everything was locked down at the school and the shades were drawn as a precaution. We followed standard procedures," Matt Shevenell, business administrator, said Thursday afternoon.
Police were inside the school as well, trying to make the students and staff as secure as possible, he explained.
"There was never any threat to the school at any time," stressed Shevenell. "The lockdown was fairly seamless as far as the students were concerned."
A canine unit was dispatched to the area to assist in searching for any possible burglary suspects. According to Shevenell, the dog tracked a scent to a nearby church before the scent was lost. He said the track did not lead to the school property.
"Everyone followed procedures and everyone was calm," he said, adding parents will be notified via a telephone message Thursday afternoon about the incident. He thanked Merrimack police for providing a visible presence at the school during the burglary investigation.
Police did not return an immediate phone call seeking additional information on the residential burglary.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATE: Police say man found dead outside Wall Street Towers jumped - 5
- Concord police stun, arrest gun rights protester after officer touched on shoulder - 151
- Horsing around: Manchester students name police horse - 1
- UPDATE: Elderly man burned in North Hampton camper fire has died - 3
- UPDATE: Windham's Common Man to open for dinner rush despite fire - 2
- Enfield fire leaves one burned - 0
- Driver rescued after Franklin crash, 50-foot plunge - 0
- Children hurt when tire swings falls in Manchester playground - 1
- Camper fire leaves Bridgewater man severely burned - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Russian national indicted over phony debit, credit cards - 0
- Road to Recovery helps America's heroes - 0
- Valenti Modified Series back at it - 0
- Seabrook scores in OT to give Blackhawks win, series tie - 0
- Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally - 26
- Hellickson, Rays handcuff Red Sox - 0
- Celtics' Rivers, Ainge meet to clear air - 0
- Fisher Cats drop second straight - 0
- Troubles mount for Patriots' Hernandez - 0
Manipulating NH: Bloomberg and the terrorist
Celtics' Rivers, Ainge meet to clear air
Tax credit math: Who owns your money?
Drones and privacy: Debate just taking off