Home » News » Public Safety
Nearby house burglary sends Merrimack school into lockdown
MERRIMACK - Reeds Ferry Elementary School went into lockdown Thursday while police searched nearby for a person wanted in a robbery.
According to a school administrator, a home on Bedford Road was reportedly found burglarized Thursday morning, prompting heavy police presence in the area of the school on Lyons Road.
"Everything was locked down at the school and the shades were drawn as a precaution. We followed standard procedures," Matt Shevenell, business administrator, said Thursday afternoon.
Police were inside the school as well, trying to make the students and staff as secure as possible, he explained.
"There was never any threat to the school at any time," stressed Shevenell. "The lockdown was fairly seamless as far as the students were concerned."
A canine unit was dispatched to the area to assist in searching for any possible burglary suspects. According to Shevenell, the dog tracked a scent to a nearby church before the scent was lost. He said the track did not lead to the school property.
"Everyone followed procedures and everyone was calm," he said, adding parents will be notified via a telephone message Thursday afternoon about the incident. He thanked Merrimack police for providing a visible presence at the school during the burglary investigation.
Police did not return an immediate phone call seeking additional information on the residential burglary.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police ready to make a wardrobe change - 0
- Man, 41, dies after his car hits utility pole by Nashua library - 0
- Derry fire displaces five - 0
- Two fall about 50 feet from Crotched Mountain ski lift - 1
- Three-alarm fire levels Loudon garage - 0
- Man, 41, dies when car hits pole in front of Nashua Library - 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- AG reports progress in search for Hernandez; defends not releasing sensitive information - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Win tickets to see Disney on Ice!
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072