Home » News » Public Safety
Manchester police locate girl seen in pajamas Wednesday morning
MANCHESTER -- The pajama-clad Manchester girl who left a bicycle behind when stopped by a stranger Wednesday morning has been found, after family members recognized her bicycle in media reports, police said.
The girl had fibbed to a woman who stopped her when she saw the girl riding her bicycle Wednesday morning at Salmon and Elm streets. The 9-year-old girl had left her home without permission and made up a story about her family being victimized by the crime, police said.
"When the girl realized the police were going to be contacted, she became frightened that she would get into trouble for leaving the house without permission," police said in a statement. "She ran off from the woman, leaving her bike behind, and returned home before her family realized she was gone."
She attended school, and her parents only realized something happened when they saw images of her bicycle in media accounts.
They called her school, which contacted the Manchester police juvenile division. No harm had come to the family, police said.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 5
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem