Home » News » Public Safety
Police say Somersworth man trapped under car expected to be fine
SOMERSWORTH - An 87-year-old Central Street man found himself in a predicament after forgetting to put his car in park, allowing the vehicle to roll on top of him Wednesday afternoon, according to Police Capt. Russell Timmons.
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded at 12:59 p.m. after a neighbor noticed the man under his Dodge and called for help from 13 Central St.
"As he exited the car, it rolled backwards," Timmons said. "The door knocked him down and the tire pinned him."
The man was pinned for up to 45 minutes, and he is expected to be fine, Timmons said.
Fire Capt. Marc Vaillancourt said firefighters from Somersworth and Dover used large airbags to slowly lift the car to free the man. He said firefighters used blocks to brace the car during the rescue process, which took about 30 minutes.
Ambulance crews from American Medical Response transported the man to Wentworth-Douglass Hospital in Dover.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Answers sought after bomb squad leaves Fitzwilliam - 0
- Nottingham man injured in wagon accident suing Hampton Falls orchard - 1
- Lightning strikes Manchester home, sparks fire - 0
- Asphalt truck overturns in Jaffrey - 0
- Police to educate Manchester motorists on distracted driving - 7
- Bird's nest may have caused house fire in Hudson - 1
- New Ipswich man burned in garage fire, flown to Boston - 0
- Two sustained minor injuries in Rochester crash Sunday - 0
- Boat crash in Tuftonboro investigated - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Car may have started itself, crashes at Manchester Home Depot - 3
- House votes to ban lead sinkers and jigs over an ounce - 8
- House passes auto dealers bill of rights - 2
- Rochester man facing up to 30 years in prison for brutal assault - 1
- Man who confronts burglar in Nashua gets bit - 0
- Police say Nashua man struck woman with Jeep - 0
- Gambling debate begins following frantic lobbying - 6
- Pease chosen to receive new KC-46A refueling tanker; to bring 100 jobs - 8
- FBI agent kills Florida man during questioning about Marathon bombing suspect - 2
License revocations for DWI announced
UPDATED: Derry marks a soldier's death
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs