Home » News » Public Safety
Police say Somersworth man trapped under car expected to be fine
SOMERSWORTH - An 87-year-old Central Street man found himself in a predicament after forgetting to put his car in park, allowing the vehicle to roll on top of him Wednesday afternoon, according to Police Capt. Russell Timmons.
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded at 12:59 p.m. after a neighbor noticed the man under his Dodge and called for help from 13 Central St.
"As he exited the car, it rolled backwards," Timmons said. "The door knocked him down and the tire pinned him."
The man was pinned for up to 45 minutes, and he is expected to be fine, Timmons said.
Fire Capt. Marc Vaillancourt said firefighters from Somersworth and Dover used large airbags to slowly lift the car to free the man. He said firefighters used blocks to brace the car during the rescue process, which took about 30 minutes.
Ambulance crews from American Medical Response transported the man to Wentworth-Douglass Hospital in Dover.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fire destroys vacant Berlin building - 0
- NY man stable after destroying classic Porsche 911 in Route 16 wreck - 3
- Investigators seek cause of Conn. train crash - 0
- Berlin man dies while kayaking - 0
- Man seriously hurt in North Country crash of 1967 Porsche - 0
- Teen hurt in Amherst boating crash - 0
- Ceremony for fallen police officers honors service and sacrifice - 2
- Amtrak suspends New York-Boston service after two trains collide in Conn.; up to 60 hurt - 0
- Two hurt in Epping crash involving bus, five other vehicles - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Boat crash in Tuftonboro investigated - 0
- Manchester alderman urges review of police phone use - 10
- Updated: Man fatally shot on Manchester street; neighbors shocked - 33
- Nashua mayor to recommend Bennett for corporation counsel - 0
- Claremont group disputes incinerator plant's permit - 0
- Goffstown artisan gives new face to Wolfeboro tower - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Kiwanis and the kids - 0
- Town may have to fix grave error - 2
- Gate City Musings: Mayor just keeps on spending - 0
Town may have to fix grave error
UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos
Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse
Chechen decries Boston attack