Home » News » Public Safety
Police say Somersworth man trapped under car expected to be fine
SOMERSWORTH - An 87-year-old Central Street man found himself in a predicament after forgetting to put his car in park, allowing the vehicle to roll on top of him Wednesday afternoon, according to Police Capt. Russell Timmons.
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded at 12:59 p.m. after a neighbor noticed the man under his Dodge and called for help from 13 Central St.
"As he exited the car, it rolled backwards," Timmons said. "The door knocked him down and the tire pinned him."
The man was pinned for up to 45 minutes, and he is expected to be fine, Timmons said.
Fire Capt. Marc Vaillancourt said firefighters from Somersworth and Dover used large airbags to slowly lift the car to free the man. He said firefighters used blocks to brace the car during the rescue process, which took about 30 minutes.
Ambulance crews from American Medical Response transported the man to Wentworth-Douglass Hospital in Dover.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Burning baton twirler attracts Manchester fire truck - 0
- Another plane hits frozen Alton Bay - 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
- ATV sinks trying to skim water of Weirs Beach - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATED: Rochester man shot multiple times as police attempted arrest - 0
- Hampstead voters reject school funding - 0
- Incumbents victorious in Londonderry - 0
- UPDATED: AG petitions judge to remove Rockingham County attorney from office - 0
- Cormier wins tight selectman race in Belmont - 0
- Hopkinton has a new selectman - 0
- Strafford voters oust an incumbent, reelect a school board member - 0
- Berlin residents select Cryans over Kenney in Executive Council race - 0
- Zoning amendment passes in Loudon - 0
Middlebrooks homers; Red Sox win, lose one
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'
Manchester schools project budget surplus