Home » News » Public Safety
Police say Somersworth man trapped under car expected to be fine
SOMERSWORTH - An 87-year-old Central Street man found himself in a predicament after forgetting to put his car in park, allowing the vehicle to roll on top of him Wednesday afternoon, according to Police Capt. Russell Timmons.
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded at 12:59 p.m. after a neighbor noticed the man under his Dodge and called for help from 13 Central St.
"As he exited the car, it rolled backwards," Timmons said. "The door knocked him down and the tire pinned him."
The man was pinned for up to 45 minutes, and he is expected to be fine, Timmons said.
Fire Capt. Marc Vaillancourt said firefighters from Somersworth and Dover used large airbags to slowly lift the car to free the man. He said firefighters used blocks to brace the car during the rescue process, which took about 30 minutes.
Ambulance crews from American Medical Response transported the man to Wentworth-Douglass Hospital in Dover.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Weare police chief on leave amid domestic violence probe - 1
- Traffic backed up a mile in Hampton tractor-trailer accident - 0
- Citizen's Police Academy in Manchester set for Oct. 1 - 0
- Heating unit cause of blaze in Manchester - 0
- Mother of Bedford student hit by car says safety should come first on school grounds - 5
- New Farmington police chief continues to build relationships in the community he’s served for 14 years - 0
- Keene police officer on bicycle struck by car - 0
- Antidote carried by NH first responders a life-saver for heroin overdoses - 0
- In neglect cases, indigent parents may lose legal help - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPS driver charged in hit-and-run at Merrimack business - 0
- Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children - 1
- Gunman hits Circle K convenience store in Durham - 0
- Bella, a chihuahua mix, is still missing in Auburn - 0
- Nashua man charged in domestic knife threat - 0
- Manchester man detained on Nashua rape charges involving child - 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
DWI license revocations
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
Attorney claims illegal phone seizure following Christmas Eve accident that killed Brookline mom
Win tickets to see Kip Moore
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Strategery: A war by any other name
Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.?
Lawyer wants cellphone evidence thrown out
Deroy Murdock: Stuff the Obama lunch tax