Home » News » Public Safety
Police say Somersworth man trapped under car expected to be fine
SOMERSWORTH - An 87-year-old Central Street man found himself in a predicament after forgetting to put his car in park, allowing the vehicle to roll on top of him Wednesday afternoon, according to Police Capt. Russell Timmons.
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded at 12:59 p.m. after a neighbor noticed the man under his Dodge and called for help from 13 Central St.
"As he exited the car, it rolled backwards," Timmons said. "The door knocked him down and the tire pinned him."
The man was pinned for up to 45 minutes, and he is expected to be fine, Timmons said.
Fire Capt. Marc Vaillancourt said firefighters from Somersworth and Dover used large airbags to slowly lift the car to free the man. He said firefighters used blocks to brace the car during the rescue process, which took about 30 minutes.
Ambulance crews from American Medical Response transported the man to Wentworth-Douglass Hospital in Dover.
READER COMMENTS: 9
- Nashua police department adds 8 new members - 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 40
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Keene men charged with burglary and assault - 0
- Shooting victim's spouse's car being searched - 0
- Altercation leads to suspect fleeing, threatening police - 0
- Crash ends high-speed chase in Lyndeborough - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- DWI license revocations - 0
- High speed chase ends in crash in Lyndeborough - 2
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 3
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm