Home » News » Public Safety
Rindge fights two fires following snowmobiler search
Rindge Firefighters douse a fire in the former Cyprus Grove Restaurant Friday night. (MEGHAN PIERCE/Union Leader Correspondent)
RINDGE -- Firefighters responded to two fires on Friday -- the first at an East Main Street home and the second at the former Cyprus Grove Restaurant.
Both blazes were started accidentally, Fire Chief Rickard Donovan said.
Firefighters went to 129 East Main St., the home of Ron Young, his girlfriend and their elementary-school-aged daughter around 1 p.m. and found a heavy fire in the second floor started by a cigarette that had fallen into a mattress.
The two-story single family home has heavy fire, heat and water damage, he said.
“The home owner had put the fire out. He accidentally dropped a cigarette,” Donovan said, around 12:30 a.m. Friday morning. Then around 5:30 a.m. Young saw the mattress smoldering. He doused it with water, considered removing the mattress from the home, but because it was sopping wet and the fire appeared gone, he left it and went to work.
“The girlfriend came back to the house and that's when she noticed some smoke,” Donovan said, adding that when she approached the second-story stairs,she saw heavy smoke, heard crackling and saw the paint on the walls melting.
“So she grabbed the cat and got out of the house and called us,” he said.
The home is going to need an extensive overhaul and is currently uninhabitable, Donovan said. The girlfriend, though, owns her own home so the family has not been displaced, he added.
The Fire Marshal is looking into the cigarette, which should have been self-extinguishing, Donovan said.
Just as firefighters were clearing the house fire, they responded to a basement fire at the former Cyprus Grove Restaurant building on Route 119 around 5:30 p.m.
“The place was changing ownership and the old owners are in there and it appears that they have been removing some copper piping and probably not using the best practices when using the torch inside," Donovan said.
"The fire was contained to a small area around where some copper piping was being removed with a torch and the torch got into one of the partition walls. … Their efforts to try to put it out before our arrival was unsuccessful,” Donovan said.
The restaurant was recently sold to a new owner at auction. The new owner is letting the former owners sell the restaurant equipment, Donovan said.
The new owner plans to remodel the building into office space.
Donovan said the fire was started accidentally and that he has advised the former owners to use licensed tradespeople for any future electrical or plumbing work in the building.
Firefighters quickly put the fire out and cleared the scene just before 7 p.m.
The fires come on the heels of a Thursday afternoon and Friday morning search for a snowmobile operator who left a snowmobile stuck in the frozen waters of Emerson Pond.
“The past 24 hours has been challenging,” Donovan said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rymes Oil employees pull Bradford man from flaming wreck, but driver succumbs to injuries - 0
- Keene man killed in work accident in Troy Monday - 0
- Teen driver dies after being pulled from icy waters in Londonderry - 8
- Trio escapes Claremont fire after smoke wakes resident - 0
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries in Little Cohas Brook crash - 0
- Tractor-trailer pulls down poles, wires, closing part of Route 28 in Epsom - 0
- Commission honors seven for contributions to state firefighter training - 0
- Lost hikers found safe in Gilsum - 1
- Woman thrown from horse, injured - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- PSNH says storm ranks as 4th largest for peak outage - 0
- Henniker police shoot suspect in truck heist - 0
- More than 200,000 New Hampshire customers without power - 1
- Thanksgiving travel a nightmare as storm dumps heavy, wet snow - 3
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats put selves in strong position - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
- Turkey Bowls: Passion always on the menu - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl: Crusaders aim to rewrite history - 0
Person found dead in Manchester alley
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket