Home » Opinion » Editorials
The Gore exception: Rich liberals can avoid high taxes
For the wealthy, avoiding high tax rates is unpatriotic, according to the Obama administration.
Defending the Obama plan to raise taxes on the rich, Joe Biden said during the 2008 presidential campaign, "It's time to be patriotic ... time to jump in, time to be part of the deal, time to help get America out of the rut."
Campaigning in New Hampshire last year, Biden made the point again, saying, "Wealthy people are just as patriotic as middle-class people, as poor people, and they know they should be doing more."
During the last presidential campaign, Obama called for a "new economic patriotism" that involved raising taxes on the rich.
On Thursday, news broke that Current TV, the left-wing network founded by a business team led by wealthy former Vice President Al Gore, sold itself to Al Jazeera, the Arab-language news network financed by the government of Qatar. Wrote The New York Times, "Mr. Gore and his partners were eager to complete the deal by Dec. 31, lest it be subject to higher tax rates that took effect on Jan. 1...."
We eagerly await the Obama administration's denunciation of Al Gore for being doubly unpatriotic, as he offshored American jobs for a profit, which Obama attacked Mitt Romney for doing, and reportedly timed the sale of his company to avoid the higher tax rates demanded by President Obama. Come on, Mr. Vice President, what say you?
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 11
- Praising freedom: While curtailing it - 16
- Fergus Cullen: No politics buffer zone - some want issue unsettled - 7
- The perfect winner: Mrs. Craig gives when she receives - 0
- A sacred rite denied: Partial justice in Marriott murder - 0
- Casino tax breaks: Bad news for Gov. Hassan - 4
- A medal well earned: Ryan M. Pitts is a hero - 3
- Treat them better: Bad medicine for veterans, military - 14
- Editorial: USNH’s freeze a good start - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 0
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
- Late rally lifts Red Sox past White Sox - 0
- On Baseball: Matinee win keeps Fisher Cats on a roll - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Salem drops $50 permit for Sunday sales
Anthony M. Kay
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
Mount Washington College to close 2 campuses
Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing?