Home » Opinion » Editorials
The Gore exception: Rich liberals can avoid high taxes
For the wealthy, avoiding high tax rates is unpatriotic, according to the Obama administration.
Defending the Obama plan to raise taxes on the rich, Joe Biden said during the 2008 presidential campaign, "It's time to be patriotic ... time to jump in, time to be part of the deal, time to help get America out of the rut."
Campaigning in New Hampshire last year, Biden made the point again, saying, "Wealthy people are just as patriotic as middle-class people, as poor people, and they know they should be doing more."
During the last presidential campaign, Obama called for a "new economic patriotism" that involved raising taxes on the rich.
On Thursday, news broke that Current TV, the left-wing network founded by a business team led by wealthy former Vice President Al Gore, sold itself to Al Jazeera, the Arab-language news network financed by the government of Qatar. Wrote The New York Times, "Mr. Gore and his partners were eager to complete the deal by Dec. 31, lest it be subject to higher tax rates that took effect on Jan. 1...."
We eagerly await the Obama administration's denunciation of Al Gore for being doubly unpatriotic, as he offshored American jobs for a profit, which Obama attacked Mitt Romney for doing, and reportedly timed the sale of his company to avoid the higher tax rates demanded by President Obama. Come on, Mr. Vice President, what say you?
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Eagles’ Kelly amps up support for Foles - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way (again) - 0
- For Patriots, an imperfect victory over Houston - 0
- NH's Griffin settling into NFL with Texans - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Gap between Pats, Texans may not be so large - 0
- NFL Thanksgiving Roundup: Ravens outlast Steelers - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: When things look bleak, they just keep playing ... and winning - 0
- Patriots edge Broncos in OT after remarkable comeback - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats have Del Rio's number - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Convicted drug dealer arrested in Nashua on more drug charges - 0
- Former Plaistow finance director charged with theft - 0
- Police: Laconia man threatened harm to toddler - 0
- Hooksett officer struck by motorist - 1
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
- Sen. Ayotte pushes for bigger broadband bang for buck - 0
- Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden - 1
- Hanover’s Grabill named top regional soccer coach - 0
- Londonderry's Aliza Simpson chooses UNH for basketball - 0
Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden
Ex-Tyco CEO granted parole
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown cites NH as example of Obamacare 'trainwreck,' will keynote NHGOP event
Thomas Sowell: Victimhood and race