Home » Opinion » Editorials
The Gore exception: Rich liberals can avoid high taxes
For the wealthy, avoiding high tax rates is unpatriotic, according to the Obama administration.
Defending the Obama plan to raise taxes on the rich, Joe Biden said during the 2008 presidential campaign, "It's time to be patriotic ... time to jump in, time to be part of the deal, time to help get America out of the rut."
Campaigning in New Hampshire last year, Biden made the point again, saying, "Wealthy people are just as patriotic as middle-class people, as poor people, and they know they should be doing more."
During the last presidential campaign, Obama called for a "new economic patriotism" that involved raising taxes on the rich.
On Thursday, news broke that Current TV, the left-wing network founded by a business team led by wealthy former Vice President Al Gore, sold itself to Al Jazeera, the Arab-language news network financed by the government of Qatar. Wrote The New York Times, "Mr. Gore and his partners were eager to complete the deal by Dec. 31, lest it be subject to higher tax rates that took effect on Jan. 1...."
We eagerly await the Obama administration's denunciation of Al Gore for being doubly unpatriotic, as he offshored American jobs for a profit, which Obama attacked Mitt Romney for doing, and reportedly timed the sale of his company to avoid the higher tax rates demanded by President Obama. Come on, Mr. Vice President, what say you?
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 55
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 3
- Wheeler in Dist. 5: A GOP fighter for the little guy - 3
- GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help - 12
- Obama's indecision: In NH, only Ayotte urges action - 50
- Concealed controversy: Our 'Mother, may I' gun policy - 46
- Innis in the 1st: A strong choice for Congress - 11
- Obama waits: A terror threat grows - 41
- For U.S. Senate, Scott Brown best NH candidate come November - 73
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
- Russian troops capture key Ukrainian town - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you