Jones, Toffoli lead way, Monarchs sink IceCaps
Rookie Tyler Toffoli scored two goals and goaltender Martin Jones broke his losing skid with a strong effort to lead the Manchester Monarchs to a 3-2 win over St. John's in Newfoundland Friday night.
Manchester improved to 15-15-4 while St. John's fell to 15-19-1. The teams play again tonight at 6 p.m.
Jones made 32 saves, including several highlight real stops, earning the win and breaking his franchise-record losing streak at nine games.
Manchester led 3-1 late in the game but Raymond Saweda scored for the hosts with 1:38 remaining in the game to make it 3-2.
A penalty to Marc-Andre Cliche and the removal of IceCaps goalie Eddie Pasquale gave St. John's a six-on-four advantage to close the game but Manchester weathered the storm and won for the first time in four games.
Toffoli gave Manchester a 1-0 lead 2:02 into the game, converting a feed from Linden Vey for his 15th goal of the season.
No. 16 came a few minutes later as Vey passed from behind the net to Toffoli for a 2-0 Manchester lead at 4:47.
St. John's cut into the lead with a goal at the 16:00 mark of the first period. Jones stopped Ben Chiarot's shot but Spencer Machacek slammed the rebound home.
The second period was scoreless, largely due to the efforts of Jones, who made three superb saves amid an 11-save frame.
Andrei Loktionov gave Manchester an insurance goal with what would prove to be the game-winning tally at 9:21 of the third period.
Dwight King fed Loktionov, who buried a shot from the right wing circle for his sixth of the season.
READER COMMENTS: 35
- Jonah Goldberg: Triumph of the vulgarians - 0
- Maureen Mann: Labeling genetically-modified foods would help New Hampshire consumers - 16
- David Harsanyi: Ninety-six percent of Americans are wrong about Congress - 3
- Patrick J. Buchanan: Will we go to war over Japanese islands? - 0
- Sean Kenneally: A once pure NH view is no more - 12
- Jonah Goldberg: Obamacare was sold on a few core lies - 8
- Charles Krauthammer: Obama the oblivious - 6
- Roger Simon: What Nelson Mandela overcame - 1
- George Will: Raise the minimum wage? It's iffy - 9
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- NH makes tort reform group's 'Judicial Hellholes' list - 2
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Stretch of I-293 North and South closed after propane tank crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan