Jones, Toffoli lead way, Monarchs sink IceCaps
Rookie Tyler Toffoli scored two goals and goaltender Martin Jones broke his losing skid with a strong effort to lead the Manchester Monarchs to a 3-2 win over St. John's in Newfoundland Friday night.
Manchester improved to 15-15-4 while St. John's fell to 15-19-1. The teams play again tonight at 6 p.m.
Jones made 32 saves, including several highlight real stops, earning the win and breaking his franchise-record losing streak at nine games.
Manchester led 3-1 late in the game but Raymond Saweda scored for the hosts with 1:38 remaining in the game to make it 3-2.
A penalty to Marc-Andre Cliche and the removal of IceCaps goalie Eddie Pasquale gave St. John's a six-on-four advantage to close the game but Manchester weathered the storm and won for the first time in four games.
Toffoli gave Manchester a 1-0 lead 2:02 into the game, converting a feed from Linden Vey for his 15th goal of the season.
No. 16 came a few minutes later as Vey passed from behind the net to Toffoli for a 2-0 Manchester lead at 4:47.
St. John's cut into the lead with a goal at the 16:00 mark of the first period. Jones stopped Ben Chiarot's shot but Spencer Machacek slammed the rebound home.
The second period was scoreless, largely due to the efforts of Jones, who made three superb saves amid an 11-save frame.
Andrei Loktionov gave Manchester an insurance goal with what would prove to be the game-winning tally at 9:21 of the third period.
Dwight King fed Loktionov, who buried a shot from the right wing circle for his sixth of the season.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats piece puzzle together - 0
- Texans tap Londonderry's Griffin in NFL Draft - 1
- Patriots make LB, WR top draft picks - 0
- Vikings make NFL Draft splash with three first-round picks, huge trade with Pats - 0
- Top pick Fisher leads linemen's march at NFL Draft - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Patience a virtue for Pats - 0
- Patriots to open, close season with Bills - 0
- Steelers match Patriots' offer, retain wide receiver Sanders - 0
- Patriots re-sign Edelman, make offer to Sanders - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Senate removes student IDs as indisputable ID for voting - 0
- Somersworth man indicted for Market Basket robbery in Epping - 0
- Former editor indicted on child porn charges - 0
- White powder in Salem shipping container posed no serious risks - 0
- 65 mph OK for E-ZPass drivers with opening of new lanes at Hooksett toll plaza - 2
- Updated: NH Senate kills House-passed gas, tobacco tax hikes - 4
- Senate Finance Committee rejects Medicaid expansion - 13
- Man wielding pipe robs Cumberland Farms in Goffstown - 0
- Buchholz moves to 7-0 as Red Sox post win - 0
License revocations for DWI announced