Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Celtics rally from 19 down to beat the Hawks in Atlanta, 89-81
ATLANTA - Paul Pierce collected 26 points and nine rebounds and Rajon Rondo posted a triple-double as the Boston Celtics locked down on defense in the second half to rally from a 19-point deficit and post an 89-81 win over the Atlanta Hawks on Saturday.
Rondo piled up 14 points, 11 boards and 10 assists for his second triple-double of the season and the 15th of his career.
Kevin Garnett added 14 points for the Celtics, who have won two straight since a four-game losing streak.
Lou Williams scored 21 of his game-high 28 points in the first half for the Hawks, who have lost two straight. Jeff Teague added 17 points and Josh Smith contributed 12 points and 10 rebounds for Atlanta, which shot just 25 percent from the field in the second half after hitting 53 percent in the first.
The Hawks led by as many as 19 in the first half and took a 53-38 advantage into the locker room before their third-quarter meltdown.
Atlanta managed just two field goals in the quarter, and Boston closed the period on a 16-2 run to take a 71-62 margin into the fourth. Atlanta pulled with 79-74 on Ivan Williams' follow dunk with 5:35 left, but the Hawks came up empty on their next three trips and the Celtics pushed it out to 85-74 and coasted to the finish.
- - - - - - -
NOTES: The Celtics swept a back-to-back set for the first time this season - they also won at home against Indiana on Friday. ... Two of Rondo's last three triple-doubles have come against the Hawks. He also notched one against Atlanta on April 11, 2012. ... Atlanta C Al Horford was limited to six points on 2-of-8 shooting, only the third time in 31 games this season he has failed to score in double figures.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NBA Finals: Big Three power Heat to series-tying win over Spurs - 0
- Heat turn 33-5 run into Game 2 win - 0
- James' triple-double not enough as Spurs win Finals opener - 0
- Celtics' impobable rally falls short as Knicks take series - 0
- Celtics remain alive with win over Knicks - 0
- Celtics' objective against Knicks: Make it to Friday - 0
- Celtics beat Knicks in OT, force Game 5 - 0
- Knicks push Celtics to the brink - 0
- Another Celts meltdown as Knicks take command of series - 0
READER COMMENTS: 25
- UPDATE: Police say man found dead outside Wall Street Towers jumped - 3
- House, Senate at standoff over vaccines, voter registration bill - 0
- Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children - 0
- Exeter High teachers' resignations announced at meeting - 0
- Rochester woman under arrest in underage party - 0
- LeBron, Heat edge Spurs in OT, force Game 7 - 0
- Santos drives in three as Curve beat Fisher Cats in 10 - 0
- Large billboards grabbing attention on Route 101 in Epping - 2
- Pearl Street lot proposal involves student housing in Manchester - 3
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?