OT goal gives Monarchs weekend sweep
Defenseman Slava Voynov scored with 1:59 remaining in overtime to give the Manchester Monarchs a 3-2 win at St. John's in Newfoundland Saturday night.
David Meckler set up the game-winner, goalie Peter Mannino beat his former team and the Monarchs completed the weekend sweep of the IceCaps. Manchester beat St. John's, 3-2 on Friday.
Manchester improved to 16-15-4 while St. John's fell to 15-20-1.
The Monarchs will make the long trip back and then be off until Friday night when they host Albany at 7 p.m. at Verizon Wireless Arena.
The third period began tied 1-1, but the Monarchs pulled ahead on a goal from rookie Tanner Pearson at 2:29. Linden Vey threw the puck to the front of the net and Pearson beat goalie Mark Dekanich.
St. John's knotted the game back up at 2-2 at the 9:27 mark as Carl Klingberg netted his second of the game, banging home a rebound shot after Mannino made the initial save on a Paul Postma drive.
The Monarchs took a 1-0 lead with the only goal of the first period. Rookie Jordan Weal scored his second of the season, going top-shelf after a feed from Jordan Nolan at 3:42.
The IceCaps tied the game at 11:37 of the second period. Klingberg gathered a loose puck and skated in on Mannino, snapping a forehand shot into the net for the equalizer.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Celtics' objective against Knicks: Make it to Friday - 0
- Celtics beat Knicks in OT, force Game 5 - 0
- Knicks push Celtics to the brink - 0
- Another Celts meltdown as Knicks take command of series - 0
- Celts 'point' to Garnett for solutions - 0
- Too much Carmelo as Knicks top Celtics in Game 1 - 0
- C's end regular season on losing note - 0
- Celtics clinch No. 7 seed with easy win over Magic - 0
- Heat's stars get better of Celtics - 0
READER COMMENTS: 5
- Updated: NH House defies Hassan, kills casino bill by 35-vote margin - 19
- Threats at Goffstown High ‘not credible’ - 0
- House votes to ban lead sinkers and jigs an ounce or under - 9
- House passes auto dealers bill of rights - 2
- Rochester man facing up to 30 years in prison for brutal assault - 1
- Man who confronts burglar in Nashua gets bit - 0
- Police say Nashua man struck woman with Jeep - 0
- Pease chosen to receive new KC-46A refueling tanker; to bring 100 jobs - 9
- FBI agent kills Florida man during questioning about Marathon bombing suspect - 3
License revocations for DWI announced
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs