OT goal gives Monarchs weekend sweep
Defenseman Slava Voynov scored with 1:59 remaining in overtime to give the Manchester Monarchs a 3-2 win at St. John's in Newfoundland Saturday night.
David Meckler set up the game-winner, goalie Peter Mannino beat his former team and the Monarchs completed the weekend sweep of the IceCaps. Manchester beat St. John's, 3-2 on Friday.
Manchester improved to 16-15-4 while St. John's fell to 15-20-1.
The Monarchs will make the long trip back and then be off until Friday night when they host Albany at 7 p.m. at Verizon Wireless Arena.
The third period began tied 1-1, but the Monarchs pulled ahead on a goal from rookie Tanner Pearson at 2:29. Linden Vey threw the puck to the front of the net and Pearson beat goalie Mark Dekanich.
St. John's knotted the game back up at 2-2 at the 9:27 mark as Carl Klingberg netted his second of the game, banging home a rebound shot after Mannino made the initial save on a Paul Postma drive.
The Monarchs took a 1-0 lead with the only goal of the first period. Rookie Jordan Weal scored his second of the season, going top-shelf after a feed from Jordan Nolan at 3:42.
The IceCaps tied the game at 11:37 of the second period. Klingberg gathered a loose puck and skated in on Mannino, snapping a forehand shot into the net for the equalizer.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown team to beat in NHIAA Div. II baseball tourney - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford rolls in NHIAA tennis tournament opener - 0
- Roger Brown's Diamond Notes: Londonderry’s double threat - 0
- Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone - 0
- John Habib's High School Track: North boys loom as favorites in Division I meet - 0
- Londonderry blanks Exeter for third shutout in a row - 0
- NHIAA Division I baseball tourney picture about to become clear - 1
- NHIAA Tennis: Bedford is championship-focused - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Hanover's Cravero hurls another no-hitter - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Officials disallow Woodmont slide show - 0
- Officials question Nashua parking proposal - 0
- House bill lowers emissions cap to meet RGGI standards - 0
- Trial delayed for Epping man charged with shooting romantic rival - 0
- Nashua aviation company looks for danger on ground - 0
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial replica wall on display - 0
- NFL-sponsored health program honors Milford High School staff - 0
- John Stossel: Sublet my people go - 0
- Search continues for gadabout steer in Epping - 0
License revocations for DWI announced
State’s stand-your-ground law intact
Pease chosen to receive refueling tanker