OT goal gives Monarchs weekend sweep
Defenseman Slava Voynov scored with 1:59 remaining in overtime to give the Manchester Monarchs a 3-2 win at St. John's in Newfoundland Saturday night.
David Meckler set up the game-winner, goalie Peter Mannino beat his former team and the Monarchs completed the weekend sweep of the IceCaps. Manchester beat St. John's, 3-2 on Friday.
Manchester improved to 16-15-4 while St. John's fell to 15-20-1.
The Monarchs will make the long trip back and then be off until Friday night when they host Albany at 7 p.m. at Verizon Wireless Arena.
The third period began tied 1-1, but the Monarchs pulled ahead on a goal from rookie Tanner Pearson at 2:29. Linden Vey threw the puck to the front of the net and Pearson beat goalie Mark Dekanich.
St. John's knotted the game back up at 2-2 at the 9:27 mark as Carl Klingberg netted his second of the game, banging home a rebound shot after Mannino made the initial save on a Paul Postma drive.
The Monarchs took a 1-0 lead with the only goal of the first period. Rookie Jordan Weal scored his second of the season, going top-shelf after a feed from Jordan Nolan at 3:42.
The IceCaps tied the game at 11:37 of the second period. Klingberg gathered a loose puck and skated in on Mannino, snapping a forehand shot into the net for the equalizer.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Monarchs roll up their sleeves for Game 4 - 0
- Jones, Monarchs stay alive with Game 3 win - 0
- Monarchs in must-win situation Thursday night in Manchester - 0
- Second close loss in two days puts Monarchs in 0-2 playoff hole - 0
- Monarchs edged in overtime in playoff opener - 0
- Allen Lessels' On Hockey: Trying to stay on a roll - 1
- Monarchs complete amazing late-season surge to clinch playoff spot - 1
- Monarchs vault into playoff position - 0
- On Hockey: Monarchs need one final playoff push - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Gosselin stepping down as city AD - 0
- Lackey sharp as Red Sox pound Cleveland, Masterson - 0
- Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather this weekend may be more like Veterans Day - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place'
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty