OT goal gives Monarchs weekend sweep
Defenseman Slava Voynov scored with 1:59 remaining in overtime to give the Manchester Monarchs a 3-2 win at St. John's in Newfoundland Saturday night.
David Meckler set up the game-winner, goalie Peter Mannino beat his former team and the Monarchs completed the weekend sweep of the IceCaps. Manchester beat St. John's, 3-2 on Friday.
Manchester improved to 16-15-4 while St. John's fell to 15-20-1.
The Monarchs will make the long trip back and then be off until Friday night when they host Albany at 7 p.m. at Verizon Wireless Arena.
The third period began tied 1-1, but the Monarchs pulled ahead on a goal from rookie Tanner Pearson at 2:29. Linden Vey threw the puck to the front of the net and Pearson beat goalie Mark Dekanich.
St. John's knotted the game back up at 2-2 at the 9:27 mark as Carl Klingberg netted his second of the game, banging home a rebound shot after Mannino made the initial save on a Paul Postma drive.
The Monarchs took a 1-0 lead with the only goal of the first period. Rookie Jordan Weal scored his second of the season, going top-shelf after a feed from Jordan Nolan at 3:42.
The IceCaps tied the game at 11:37 of the second period. Klingberg gathered a loose puck and skated in on Mannino, snapping a forehand shot into the net for the equalizer.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Monarchs fall, settle for two-win weekend - 0
- Ian Clark's Monarchs Notebook: Berube makes most of his shot - 0
- Red-hot Monarchs top Wolf Pack on the road - 0
- Deslauriers comes through in the Nick of time for Monarchs - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Rookie makes most of chance - 0
- Monarchs cut Ullrich - 0
- Monarchs fall in Sunday shootout - 0
- Sabourin's two goals pace Monarchs past P-Bruins - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Monarchs' 'kids' get job done - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Incredible win tempered by loss of Gronkowski - 0
- National champion SNHU booters return home to big welcome - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Football team on to SE Louisiana - 0
- Nashua aldermen set to vote on contract for teachers - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Let there be Christmas lights - 0
- Plea deal possible in Littleton murder - 0
- New UNH logo draws mixed reactions - 0
- Gilmanton library may shut down if it doesn’t get funding - 0
- Father not convinced girl in video is Abigail Hernandez - 0
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
UNH lecturers seek to unionize
Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use