OT goal gives Monarchs weekend sweep
Defenseman Slava Voynov scored with 1:59 remaining in overtime to give the Manchester Monarchs a 3-2 win at St. John's in Newfoundland Saturday night.
David Meckler set up the game-winner, goalie Peter Mannino beat his former team and the Monarchs completed the weekend sweep of the IceCaps. Manchester beat St. John's, 3-2 on Friday.
Manchester improved to 16-15-4 while St. John's fell to 15-20-1.
The Monarchs will make the long trip back and then be off until Friday night when they host Albany at 7 p.m. at Verizon Wireless Arena.
The third period began tied 1-1, but the Monarchs pulled ahead on a goal from rookie Tanner Pearson at 2:29. Linden Vey threw the puck to the front of the net and Pearson beat goalie Mark Dekanich.
St. John's knotted the game back up at 2-2 at the 9:27 mark as Carl Klingberg netted his second of the game, banging home a rebound shot after Mannino made the initial save on a Paul Postma drive.
The Monarchs took a 1-0 lead with the only goal of the first period. Rookie Jordan Weal scored his second of the season, going top-shelf after a feed from Jordan Nolan at 3:42.
The IceCaps tied the game at 11:37 of the second period. Klingberg gathered a loose puck and skated in on Mannino, snapping a forehand shot into the net for the equalizer.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Monarchs roll up their sleeves for Game 4 - 0
- Jones, Monarchs stay alive with Game 3 win - 0
- Monarchs in must-win situation Thursday night in Manchester - 0
- Second close loss in two days puts Monarchs in 0-2 playoff hole - 0
- Monarchs edged in overtime in playoff opener - 0
- Allen Lessels' On Hockey: Trying to stay on a roll - 1
- Monarchs complete amazing late-season surge to clinch playoff spot - 1
- Monarchs vault into playoff position - 0
- On Hockey: Monarchs need one final playoff push - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 20, 2013 - 0
- Police say man held girlfriend in car, arrest him - 0
- Overtime puts stress on Nashua police budget - 0
- Manchester, church group seek accord on breakfast for homeless - 4
- Ky. Sen. Rand Paul to NH GOP: Let's look like America - 4
- Man gunned down on Manchester street was talented graffiti artist - 6
- Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs - 4
- Two had a NH history before brutal Bedford attack - 2
- Derry marks a soldier's death - 1
Texting + driving = deadly consequences
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs
Derry marks a soldier's death
Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone
Memorial Day Observances 2013