Bedford woman helped in Mt. Major carryout
ALTON — Fish and Game officers were called to Mt. Major Sunday to help an injured hiker off the mountain.
New Hampshire Fish and Game officers were called to Mt. Major, off Route 11, around 2:30 p.m. Sunday to assist with a hiker who injured an ankle. The injury occurred near the summit of the Boulder Loop Trail, and the woman, identified as Shannon Koechel, 21, of Bedford was unable to continue down the mountain without assistance, due to snow and ice in the area.
A team of nine volunteers carried Koechel down the mountain, where they met the woman's parents at about 4:30 p.m.. She was driven from the site by family members with a minor ankle injury.
Fish and Game officials report she and members of her hiking group were properly prepared for such a hike.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Early summer rental benefit as winter takes its toll - 0
- Susan Dromey's Down to Earth: The winter of our fashion faux pas - 0
- Deb Baker's The Mindful Reader: 'The Half Brother': complex, thoughtful - 0
- Forest Journal: Winners & losers: Keeping score of wildlife in winter - 0
- Dick Pinney's Guidelines: Ice fishing great under right conditions - 0
- Stacey Cole's Nature Talks: Thrush sighting brings rush of excitement - 0
- Win tickets to see Pat Benetar and Neil Giraldo - 0
- Win tickets to see Black Label Society - 0
- Last Week's Rare Bird Alert - 0
Harrigan closes up camp
Win tickets to see Black Label Society
Judge: State wrong to round blood-alcohol level; license of teen charged with hitting women restored
Granite Staters remember Mr. Spock