Home » News » Public Safety
Few details in Mont Vernon police shooting
MONT VERNON - Few details have been released in the officer-involved shooting of an apparently suicidal man on Sunday evening as the New Hampshire Attorney General's office and the State Police continue their investigation.
Police were called to the home at 15 Pond Road on Sunday around 5 p.m. for the report of a suicidal man. Officers from Mont Vernon, Amherst, and Milford responded to the call, and when the first officers arrived on scene, they encountered Geoffrey Bidwell who was allegedly suicidal, according to Senior Assistant Attorney General Jane Young.
Bidwell apparently engaged in an altercation with police and during that interaction, was shot and wounded by a Mont Vernon police officer. Bidwell was taken to a Massachusetts hospital where, as of Sunday night, he was in stable condition.
A local resident familiar with Bidwell who asked not to be named said Bidwell lived with his parents at the Pond Road address. According to Bidwell's Facebook page, he grew up New Hampshire and attended Milford Area Senior High and worked in the computer industry. According to court documents, Bidwell was arrested twice in the mid-1990s in New Hampshire for driving under the influence, but aside from those convictions has no other criminal history in the state.
Mont Vernon Police Chief Kyle Aspinwall wouldn't comment on the incident because the case is being handled by state police and the Attorney General's office. Aspinwall would also not release the name of the officer involved, however, he said it is standard protocol for any police officer involved in a shooting to be placed on paid administrative leave during the initial phase of an investigation.
Pond Road, a small side street with just a few houses located off of Route 13 north of Mont Vernon village was closed to traffic on Monday. The investigation is considered ongoing.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rymes Oil employees pull Bradford man from flaming wreck, but driver succumbs to injuries - 0
- Keene man killed in work accident in Troy Monday - 0
- Teen driver dies after being pulled from icy waters in Londonderry - 8
- Trio escapes Claremont fire after smoke wakes resident - 0
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries in Little Cohas Brook crash - 0
- Tractor-trailer pulls down poles, wires, closing part of Route 28 in Epsom - 0
- Commission honors seven for contributions to state firefighter training - 0
- Lost hikers found safe in Gilsum - 1
- Woman thrown from horse, injured - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
- Turkey Bowls: Passion always on the menu - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl: Crusaders aim to rewrite history - 0
- Dave Solomon's Power Plays: Who knew what and when in PSNH scrubber case? - 0
- Story of Marine Memorial at Hampton Beach begins with Bill Downs - 0
- Immigrants include ethnic dishes at their Thanksgiving table - 0
- Puritans in America: Daniel Webster on religion's role - 0
- Mitt Romney is out front, but says he's not running again - 0
Person found dead in Manchester alley
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket