Home » News » Public Safety
Bedford woman injured while hiking on Mt. Major
ALTON - A 21-year-old Bedford woman was helped down Mount Major Sunday after she fell and injured her leg while hiking on the Boulder Loop Trail.
State Fish and Game conservation officers carried Shannon Koechel down the trail and reached the parking lot about 4:30 p.m. Her family had gathered to meet her.
According to Fish and Game, Koechel was hiking with a friend when she fell about 2:30 p.m. and injured her leg. Knowing it would be getting dark in a few hours, the hikers called 911.
They were well prepared to wait for emergency workers, being equipped with extra clothing, a headlamp, first-aid equipment and food and water, according to a Fish and Game news release.
"All these things helped make them comfortable while waiting for help," said conservation officer Ron Arsenault. "It is very important to be prepared while hiking in New Hampshire, especially in the winter."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Burning baton twirler attracts Manchester fire truck - 0
- Another plane hits frozen Alton Bay - 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
- ATV sinks trying to skim water of Weirs Beach - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Low turnout seen in early Lakes Region polling - 0
- Goffstown residents slow to vote so far - 0
- Dover police convince local man to go to hospital for evaluation - 0
- Bedford man sentenced for lobster trap thefts - 0
- Voting is not just for adults in Windham - 0
- Voter turnout is low but steady in Bedford - 0
- Steady voter turnout in Amherst - 0
- Due to snow forecast, Farmington decides to wait a week to decide on town issues - 0
- AG petitions judge to remove Rockingham County attorney from office - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus