Home » News » Public Safety
Bedford woman injured while hiking on Mt. Major
ALTON - A 21-year-old Bedford woman was helped down Mount Major Sunday after she fell and injured her leg while hiking on the Boulder Loop Trail.
State Fish and Game conservation officers carried Shannon Koechel down the trail and reached the parking lot about 4:30 p.m. Her family had gathered to meet her.
According to Fish and Game, Koechel was hiking with a friend when she fell about 2:30 p.m. and injured her leg. Knowing it would be getting dark in a few hours, the hikers called 911.
They were well prepared to wait for emergency workers, being equipped with extra clothing, a headlamp, first-aid equipment and food and water, according to a Fish and Game news release.
"All these things helped make them comfortable while waiting for help," said conservation officer Ron Arsenault. "It is very important to be prepared while hiking in New Hampshire, especially in the winter."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Updated: Car may have started itself, crashes, burns at Manchester Home Depot - 5
- Lightning strikes home in Exeter - 0
- Answers sought after bomb squad leaves Fitzwilliam - 0
- Nottingham man injured in wagon accident suing Hampton Falls orchard - 1
- Lightning strikes Manchester home, sparks fire - 0
- Asphalt truck overturns in Jaffrey - 0
- Police to educate Manchester motorists on distracted driving - 7
- Bird's nest may have caused house fire in Hudson - 1
- New Ipswich man burned in garage fire, flown to Boston - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Gambling bill scuttled, 'Now it is going to be really tough' for budget - 3
- NHIAA Roundup: BG girls’ tennis team sweeps Pinkerton - 0
- NHIAA box scores, summaries for May 22 - 0
- Officials say Goffstown High ‘safe’ after threat of violence - 0
- Manchester Community College graduates told ‘speak your minds’ - 0
- Portsmouth manhunt suspect turns himself in to police - 0
- Nurse said Exeter Hospital is making her a ‘scapegoat’ in hepatitis case - 0
- Derry council defends officials' purchases - 0
- Nashua librarian reports E-books flying off virtual shelves - 0
Memorial Day events in New Hampshire
Bruins seek repeat effort and complete sweep
Milford team wins seatbelt challenge
Consider Nevada: Gambling always expands