Home » News » Public Safety
Bedford woman injured while hiking on Mt. Major
ALTON - A 21-year-old Bedford woman was helped down Mount Major Sunday after she fell and injured her leg while hiking on the Boulder Loop Trail.
State Fish and Game conservation officers carried Shannon Koechel down the trail and reached the parking lot about 4:30 p.m. Her family had gathered to meet her.
According to Fish and Game, Koechel was hiking with a friend when she fell about 2:30 p.m. and injured her leg. Knowing it would be getting dark in a few hours, the hikers called 911.
They were well prepared to wait for emergency workers, being equipped with extra clothing, a headlamp, first-aid equipment and food and water, according to a Fish and Game news release.
"All these things helped make them comfortable while waiting for help," said conservation officer Ron Arsenault. "It is very important to be prepared while hiking in New Hampshire, especially in the winter."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rochester 10-year-old, grandmother escape fire in home with no smoke detectors - 0
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
- Motorcyclist flown to Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Affair, threats alleged in Weare police chief investigation - 9
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
- Claremont police warn public about suspicious soda bottles - 1
- Mechanical failure ruled out in fatal plane crash that claimed lives of two Kingston men - 0
- UPDATED: Cause of three-alarm Derry blaze under investigation - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kuster, Shea-Porter split on vote to arm Syrian rebels - 0
- Man arrested in White Park stabbing in Concord - 0
- Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester - 0
- Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too - 3
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Modified tour is shortened - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Pats wary of veteran playmaker Woodson - 0
- College Football: Expect offense when Richmond, UNH meet - 0
- Young fighters' dreams on display tonight at Fight to Educate - 0
- Drew Cline: When Republicans turn off Republicans - 7
Keene man charged with assault on 2-year-old
Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over