Home » News » Public Safety
Bedford woman injured while hiking on Mt. Major
ALTON - A 21-year-old Bedford woman was helped down Mount Major Sunday after she fell and injured her leg while hiking on the Boulder Loop Trail.
State Fish and Game conservation officers carried Shannon Koechel down the trail and reached the parking lot about 4:30 p.m. Her family had gathered to meet her.
According to Fish and Game, Koechel was hiking with a friend when she fell about 2:30 p.m. and injured her leg. Knowing it would be getting dark in a few hours, the hikers called 911.
They were well prepared to wait for emergency workers, being equipped with extra clothing, a headlamp, first-aid equipment and food and water, according to a Fish and Game news release.
"All these things helped make them comfortable while waiting for help," said conservation officer Ron Arsenault. "It is very important to be prepared while hiking in New Hampshire, especially in the winter."
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Missing Massachusetts woman returns home - 0
- Nashua man's condition upgraded after Hudson bicycle-car collision - 0
- Missing autistic Maine teen found in Jefferson woods - 0
- Nashua bicyclist hurt in collision with car - 0
- Three injured in Route 16 accident in Ossipee - 0
- State fire marshal urges eventual ban on all fireworks - 23
- Manchester welcomes 14 new police recruits - 7
- Hampton police searching for missing Mass. woman - 0
- Officials mum on investigation of Lyman infant's death - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph - 0
- Mazzaglia to be sentenced Aug. 14 for murder of UNH student - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax - 6
- No one has a clear claim to NHMS supremacy - 0
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 10
- Another View - Kevin Smith: Londonderry is showing how to make NH business-friendly - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Praising freedom: While curtailing it
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax