Home » News » Public Safety
Bedford woman injured while hiking on Mt. Major
ALTON - A 21-year-old Bedford woman was helped down Mount Major Sunday after she fell and injured her leg while hiking on the Boulder Loop Trail.
State Fish and Game conservation officers carried Shannon Koechel down the trail and reached the parking lot about 4:30 p.m. Her family had gathered to meet her.
According to Fish and Game, Koechel was hiking with a friend when she fell about 2:30 p.m. and injured her leg. Knowing it would be getting dark in a few hours, the hikers called 911.
They were well prepared to wait for emergency workers, being equipped with extra clothing, a headlamp, first-aid equipment and food and water, according to a Fish and Game news release.
"All these things helped make them comfortable while waiting for help," said conservation officer Ron Arsenault. "It is very important to be prepared while hiking in New Hampshire, especially in the winter."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH traffic deaths take sharp decline - 0
- Three-alarm fire damages Nashua church; parishioners out safe - 0
- Power outage knocks machine offline at Gorham Paper and Tissue - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson - 1
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 3
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
- Wakefield woman dies in crash; Rye woman crashes into utility pole - 0
- Wakefield woman killed in Milton crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Three robbers strike Rochester Shell station early Monday - 0
- Motorcyclist killed in Saturday crash identified as Manchester man - 0
- Public trust has been eroded, says Congressional candidate Garcia - 4
- Gubernatorial candidate Hemingway proposes NH tax system fix - 5
- Hanover co-op to meet on fired workers - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Elm Street's resurgence includes a good workout - 0
- Your turn, NH -- Kate Pemberton: What a First Lady taught me about being a woman - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notes: My favorite things from one week this summer - 0
- Motivation Matters: Get rid of deficiency, not employee - 0
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
The U.S. is a beacon still
No compromise: We win, you lose